Welcome!
Who We Are
MetroTech Center
The Bern Dibner Library of Science and Technology
Promise Fund
Academic Programs
Faculty
Alumni
Key Facts
Students
Accreditation Rankings
Cooperative Education Program
Education Program
Board of Trustees
The Power of Polythinking

NYU-Poly Timeline

2005
Polytechnic concludes its year-long sesquicentennial celebration with a convocation ceremony at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on September 29, 2005. Keynote speaker is Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. Jerry MacArthur Hultin is named the University’s 10th president. Charles J. Camarda ’74 is the first alumnus to travel into space aboard the Discovery space shuttle. Craig G. Matthews ’71 is named chairman of the Board of Trustees.
2004
Polytechnic’s Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications marked its 20th anniversary with a recertification grant by New York State Governor George P. Pataki. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton introduces Seventh Annual Lynford Lecture. Men’s basketball team wins second consecutive Hudson Valley Conference Championship. Brooklyn Enterprise for Science and Technology (BEST) incubator launched. Polytechnic opens its sesquicentennial celebration at commencement on May 27, 2004.
2003
Peter P. and Barbara L. Regna Student Lounge opens in Rogers Hall. Lounge named after the late Dr. Regna ’32 ’37 ’42 Hon’94 and his wife. Men’s basketball and volleyball teams win Hudson Valley Conference Championships; second consecutive year for volleyball. Polymer Research Institute designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark by American Chemical Society. Dr. Richard Gross receives the Green Chemistry Challenge Award.
2002
Dedication ceremonies held for the Joseph J. and Violet J. Jacobs Building and the Donald F. and Mildred Topp Othmer Residence Hall. First students move into the Othmer Residence Hall. Polytechnic opens a new and expanded cafeteria, seating 300, in Rogers Hall. The cafeteria is named for Dr. Jasper H. Kane ’28 Hon’95. All undergraduate programs move to the MetroTech campus; Polytechnic establishes the Long Island Graduate Center in Melville. The Lynford Family Charitable Trust, headed by Trustee Jeffrey H. Lynford, donates an outdoor sculpture, “Balanced Cylinders 5,” by artist Paul Sisko, to adorn the Jay Street Plaza in front of Poly’s main entrance. The Urban Security Initiative established. Alumni Wall dedicated in lobby of Jacobs Academic Building during 25th Annual President’s Associates Reception.
2001
Polytechnic breaks ground for Donald F. and Mildred Topp Othmer Residence Hall at MetroTech. The 20-story, 400-bed facility is the first dormitory at the Brooklyn campus. University successfully completes the Campaign for Polytechnic—Fulfilling the American Dream, raising more than $275 million. Polytechnic becomes the first university in New York City to require freshmen to use notebook computers for their courses, taking advantage of an upgraded telecommunications infrastructure. Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies created. Five murals by the late artist Mordi Gassner, interpreting the sciences of physics, geology, astronomy, chemistry and biology, are donated by Gassner’s daughter and son-inlaw, Judith and Herbert Schlosser. They are permanently displayed in the lobby of the Dibner/CATT Building. The Center for Construction Management Technology established. The Wireless Internet Center for Advanced Technology (WICAT) established with a $1.5- million grant from the New York State Office of Science, Technology and Academic Research. Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs ’37 ’39 ’42 Hon’86 begins 2nd term as chairman of The Corporation.
2000
Department of Introductory Design and Science established. Polytechnic breaks ground for Joseph J. and Violet J. Jacobs Building—an eight-story academic and athletic facility at MetroTech. Stewart G. Nagler ’63 named chairman of The Corporation. Graduate Center for Professional Studies established.
1999
Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs ’37 ’39 ’42 Hon’86 announces $20 million gift to Campaign for Polytechnic—Fulfilling the American Dream, including a $10 million challenge gift. This is the second largest gift in Poly’s history. Polytechnic celebrates 100th anniversary of mechanical engineering at the University. University completes Strategic Planning 2000, Poly’s master plan for transforming itself into a leading technological university. Polytechnic Advisory Trustee Eugene Kleiner ’48 Hon’89 among eight scientists honored by the U.S. Postal Service with a commemorative stamp for developing and manufacturing revolutionary computer chips.
1998
Polytechnic receives $175-million bequest from estates of Professor Donald F. Othmer Hon’77 and his wife, Mildred Topp Othmer—at the time the largest cash gift ever to a private university in the United States. Dr. Othmer was a world-renowned Polytechnic chemical engineering professor. ITE relocates its executive master’s programs to 55 Broad Street, in the heart of Manhattan’s high-tech, financial district.
1997
The Campaign for Polytechnic—Fulfilling the American Dream launched. The Institute for Technology and Enterprise (ITE) established
1996
POLYTECHNIC ALUMNI established with an international governing board and broad base of alumni groups across the country and around the world. Renovated and refurbished Joseph W. and Samuel Wunsch Building reopens on Brooklyn campus.
1995
Dr. Martin L. Perl ’48 Hon’96 awarded Nobel Prize in physics.
1994
Arthur C. Martinez ’60 named chairman of The Corporation. Dr. David C. Chang named ninth president.
1992
New York State Governor Mario M. Cuomo speaks at dedication of Dibner/CATT Building. Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs ’37 ’39 ’42 Hon’86 begins 2nd term as chairman of The Corporation.
1991
Robert Maxwell Hon’85 named chairman of The Corporation.
1990
Polytechnic breaks ground for the Bern Dibner Library of Science and Technology/CATT Building at MetroTech. Former Polytechnic Professor Rudolph Marcus awarded Nobel Prize in chemistry.
1988
Paul Hallingby Jr. named chairman of The Corporation. Gertrude B. Elion Hon’89, former doctoral student at Polytechnic, awarded Nobel Prize in medicine.
1987
Westchester Graduate Center moves to Hawthorne.
1986
Polytechnic celebrates 100th anniversary of electrical engineering at the University.
1985
New York State Board of Regents approves name change to Polytechnic University. Microwave Research Center renamed Weber Research Institute to honor Dr. Ernst Weber.
1983
Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications (CATT) established.
1982
MetroTech Center project launched.
1976
Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs ’37 ’39 ’42 Hon’86 named chairman of The Corporation. Westchester Graduate Center established in White Plains.
1975
Division of Management established.
1974
Undergraduate program established at Long Island campus.
1973
Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn merges with New York University’s School of Engineering and Science to form Polytechnic Institute of New York. Norman P. Auburn named acting president.Dr. George Bugliarello named eighth president. First issue of Cable, successor to NYU-Poly Men,
the alumni magazine, published.
1971
Dr. Arthur Grad named seventh president.
1969
Benjamin Adler ’26 named acting president. Louis N. Rowley Jr. ’31 named chairman of The Corporation.
1967
Bachelor of Science degrees in humanities and social sciences established.
1966
Robert E. Lewis named chairman of The Corporation.
1961
Long Island Graduate Center established in Farmingdale. Herbert H. Rogge named chairman of The Corporation.
1958
Polytechnic reestablishes itself as a co-educational institute in both the undergraduate and graduate schools. Annual Alumni Giving established.
1957
Dr. Ernst Weber named sixth president. Institute moves into new quarters at 333 Jay Street.
1955
Polytechnic celebrates 100th anniversary and confers 10,000th degree.
1952
Preston R. Bassett ’14 named chairman of The Corporation.
1946
First woman, Sylvia Lepow Walker, awarded engineering degree.
1945
Microwave Research Institute established under Dr. Ernst Weber.
1942
Polymer Research Institute established under Dr. Herman F. Mark.
1939
Separate courses in aeronautical engineering established.
1935
First doctorate awarded, a PhD in chemistry, to Samuel Goldberg ’21.
1933
Dr. Harry S. Rogers named fifth president.
1928
Master’s degrees offered in chemistry, chemical engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering.
1926
Evening courses extended to include graduate degree programs.
1925
Dr. Parke R. Kolbe named fourth president.
1922
Charles E. Potts named chairman of The Corporation.
1921
First issue of NYU-Poly Men, alumni magazine, published.
1917
Polytechnic’s preparatory department separates from Institute and renamed the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School.
1911
First issue of The Reporter, student newspaper, published.
1908
Polytechnic discontinues liberal arts program and commits itself solely to science and engineering.
1907
First woman graduate, Anna Erdman Willerth, receives Bachelor of Arts degree.
1905
Separate courses in chemical engineering established.
1904
Evening classes in undergraduate studies offered. Dr. Fred W. Atkinson named third president. Dr. William H. Nichols named chairman of The Corporation.
1901
New York State Board of Regents approves graduate programs leading to Master of Science and Master of Arts degrees.
1900
Henry S. Snow named chairman of The Corporation and acting president.
1899
Courses in mechanical engineering established.
1891
First Bachelor of Science degrees awarded in electrical and civil Engineering.
1890
Polytechnic creates new charter, with its governing board to be known as “The Corporation.” The Institute occupies 85 Livingston Street. William A. White named chairman of The Corporation.
1889
Name changes to Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn.
1887
First Polywog, student yearbook, published.
1886
Bachelor of Science degrees in engineering and chemistry established; Department of Electrical Engineering established.
1871
First baccalaureate degrees conferred.
1869
New York State Board of Regents authorizes Polytechnic to confer Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees.
1864
Dr. David H. Cochran named second president.
1863
Polytechnic Alumni Association established.
1855
Dr. John H. Raymond named first president. School opens its doors September 10 to 265 young men ages nine to 17.
1854
Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute chartered and moves into its first home at 99 Livingston Street. Isaac H. Frothingham named president of the Board of Trustees.
1853
A group of distinguished Brooklyn businessmen draw up a charter on May 17 to establish a school for young men.
  poly thinking