Not the one referred to here.
This one is on display at RAF Lossiemouth
(Note the Airman on the left side of the bomb)
|Apparently when Lincolnshire County Council were widening
the road past RAF Scampton's main gate in about 1958, the 'gate guards'
there had to be moved to make way for the new carriageway. Scampton was
home of 617 Sqn, and said "gate guards" were a Lancaster...and a Grand
When they went to lift the Grand Slam, thought for years to just be an
empty casing, with an RAF 8 Ton Coles Crane, it wouldn't budge. "Oh, it
must be filled with concrete" they said. Then somebody had a horrible
thought .... No!..... Couldn't be? ... Not after all these years out here
open to the public to climb over and be photographed sitting astride! ....
Could it? .... Then everyone raced off to get the Station ARMO. He
carefully scraped off many layers of paint and gingerly unscrewed the base
Yes, you guessed it, live 1944 explosive filling! The beast was very
gently lifted onto an RAF 'Queen Mary' low loader, using a much larger
civvy crane (I often wonder what, if anything, they told the crane
driver), then driven slowly under massive police escort to the coastal
experimental range at Shoeburyness. There it was rigged for
demolition, and when it 'high ordered', it proved in no uncertain terms to
anyone within a ten mile radius that the filling was still very much
Exhaustive investigations then took place, but nobody could find the
long-gone 1944, 1945 or 1946 records which might have shown how a live
22,000 lb bomb became a gate guard for nearly the next decade and a half.
Some safety distance calculations were done, however, about the effect of
a Grand Slam detonating at ground level in the open. Apart from the entire
RAF Station, most of the northern part of the City of Lincoln, including
Lincoln Cathedral, which dates back to 1250, would have been flattened.
||Deep Penetration Bomb
||7.7 meter (26 feet 6
||1.17 meter (3 feet, 10
|Tail Section length
||4.11 meter (13 feet, 6
||9,979 kg (22,000 lb)
||4,144 kg (9,135 lb) Torpex
|The "Grand Slam"
(Earthquake) bomb was of the same design as the Tallboy but larger
and heavier weighing 9,979 kg (22,000 lb). The Grand Slam was first
used on 14 March, 1945 when a force of Lancaster bombers led by
Royal Air Force Squadron Leader C.C. Calder attacked the Bielefeld
railway viaduct destroying two spans. In another attack against
submarine pens (Bunker Valentin) near Bremen two Grand Slams
penetrated 4,5 meters of reinforced concrete. 41 Grand Slam Bombs
were dropped by the end of the war mainly against bridges and
The "Grand Slam" bomb was the biggest bomb used in WWII at all.
|* "Torpex" means Torpedo
Explosive. It was originally used for torpedoes and therefore got
pictures you can see the size of the "Tall Boy" compared to the
"Grand Slam" and their size related to a human being.
||A "Grand Slam" leaves an
Avro 683 Lancaster. " Phil Martin (DFC and Bar) was the pilot
" [Pilots Log]
||A 9,979 kg (22,000 lb)
Grand Slam bomb on display. Note the man on the left side of the