CyclingNews Forum  

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old Today, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by issoisso View Post
Really, in terms of number of wins, Hincapie hasn't been on teams that have won that much at all
Huh? Is that sarcasm? Columbia has been winning races left and right for the last two years...So if you are counting assists, then Hincapie has quite a few.

I mean, for 2008 they had 84 wins. And I'm pretty sure they topped that number this year.
Old Today, 15:51

Quote:
I mean, for 2008 they had 84 wins. And I'm pretty sure they topped that number this year.
That sounds great but Hincapie wasn't involved in all (or probably even most) wins. Now consider a team like TI-Raleigh had close to 1000 wins (wiki number so probably somewhat inflated) in 10 years between 1974-1983. And that's with smaller squads at that time. Any rider who was involved in that team during more than a couple of years at that time has been involved in far more wins than Hincapie.

And that's just the first example I can come up with (being Dutch TI-Raleigh is an obvious choice). There have been similar teams who won a lot. The Italian team containing both Coppi and Bartali must have won loads.
Old Today, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
Huh? Is that sarcasm? Columbia has been winning races left and right for the last two years...So if you are counting assists, then Hincapie has quite a few.

they may have had a lot of wins but was George riding for them during each of those wins ?

Sometimes they can be racing in two places at the same time. Plus what constitutes a win, if they get a stage win during a stage race but not the overall is that counted ?
Old Today, 16:16

to be honest cycling doesn't really work with assists as a ride could have an off day and not do any work for the team at all but the star rider could still win.

It was a nice idea to start a thread and the OP says he he a newbie so no harm done i don't think assists work in this sport
Old Today, 16:39

Maybe a more logical thread would be 'Is Hincapie the best domestique ever' and we might have a more relevant, sensible thread in which direct comparisons can be made.

Imagine how many wins Cipos or Petacchis leadout men who would have in comparison to George.

Last edited by pmcg76; Today at 16:41.
Old Today, 20:20

Default Boy George

Had the power and endurance but not the savvy to propel himself into many Classics wins.

To bad for him. I enjoy his open "Flycatcher mouth" when he is victorious in sprints and his 5 o-clock shadow.

Oh yeah he is articulate in his interviews.