The old Victorian pavilion at Cassio Road is the backdrop for the match between Watford and Portsmouth in 1907, and was the club's home from 1899 to 1922.
Old Vicarage Road
When Watford moved to Vicarage Road in 1922, it would have looked something like this. Half the Main Stand is already there, as are the allotments behind the Rookery End. However, the 'D' on the edge of the penalty area has yet to be introduced.
Modern Vicarage Road
The Vicarage Road of today is a far different proposition. An all-seater stadium boasting more than 30 executive boxes, a state-of-the-art pitch and with the Rous Stand flanked on either side by new constructions at both the Vicarage Road and Rookery ends.
Future plans announced
In September 2006, former Chairman Graham Simpson, former Chief Executive Mark Ashton and Gareth Jones from Origin (Housing organisation that specialises in key worker housing schemes) publicly announced plans for Vicarage Road
Committing the club to a long-term future at the ground, the club's plan forms a key part of the Watford Health Campus project and will provide, in partnership with housing association Origin, an innovative 'wrap-round' housing development which will offer car-free key worker accommodation that will directly support Watford General Hospital and its staff.
The proposal includes a brand new East Stand focusing on providing community and educational facilities, as well as vastly enhanced Rous and Rookery Stand facilities that will offer radically improved concourse environments, including additional kiosk and bar facilities.
Changing rooms, media facilities and a new players' lounge will be relocated to the south-west corner of the ground, which, combined with the relocation of the existing Directors' Box and Boardroom to the Rous Stand, will clear the way for the development of a new East Stand.
The changes will, in time, lead to the corners of the ground being in-filled creating a traditional intimate stadium with an enhanced capacity of 22,000-23,000 spectators.
To date (June 2008)
Work began on the stadium in the summer of 2007, with the club's offices relocating to Wolsey Business Park, Tolpits Lane, while the redevelopment takes place.
New corporate areas in the Rous Stand and enhanced areas in the Rookery have already been completed and now work has began in the south west corner of the stadium, which will house the tunnel, players' changing areas, medical rooms and new media facilities.
Planning permission was granted for the new East Stand in April 2008, which has been in place since 1922 and work around the stadium pushed forward during the 2008 close season.