by Daniel Kessler, San Francisco, California on 10.18.09
The president of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed, and his ministers yesterday held an official cabinet meeting underwater as part of an international movement organized by 350.org to bring increased global attention to climate change. 350.org is organizing a global day of action on Oct. 24 and Maldives, a country of just 350,000, has organized an amazing 14 events.
Photo via 350.org
While Nasheed and his cabinet ministers met underwater, thousands of school children met to form a huge 350 aerial art formation in the Hemveiru Stadium in Male'. Events like this will take place all over the globe on Oct 24. In the Bay Area of California, where I live, thousands will join the Surfriders Foundation and other organizations for a series of actions including a giant bike ride around the city of San Francisco.
The 350 in 350.org's name signifies the safe level of parts per million of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. NASA's James Hansen said we must return to 350 to hold off the worst effects of climate change.
You can view events in your area and sign up to host one at 350.org
Thirsty for more? Check out these related articles:
- Countdown to Copenhagen: The Events That Will Rock the World Before COP15 Does
- Your Rock Star is Physics, Your Heartthrob is Chemisty, Your Destination is Climate Action Day with Bill McKibben
- Blog Action Day is Happening Now!
- Actiontrax Music Pushes Solar Power for the Poor
- Can Our Actions Save Humankind? 5 Crucial Environmental Tipping Points That We Can Directly Impact
- Focus Earth Episode: The Dawn of New Disease