THE Bacolod City Government set up a marker that hangs prominently at the NGC lobby that depicted the legacy of Don Fernando Figueroa Gonzaga (1886-1970) and Doña Angela Jayme Gonzaga (1886-1951).
Mayor Evelio Leonardia said the marker "will always remind us of the couple's charitable path in line with their mission of supporting community development.
Sun.Star accepts donations for victims of Typhoon Ondoy
This will mark as the living legacy of the couple who believed that Bacolod would soon become a highly-urbanized city, which has become a reality."
The marker was unveiled during the city's 71st Charter Day program in ceremonies led by Leonardia, Vice Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson, city officials and members of the Gonzaga family who expressed gratitude for such honor.
The marker highlighted the philanthropic works of the Don Fernando that included the donation of the land where the Burgos Public Market is located.
His companies, the Fernando F. Gonzaga Inc. and Angela Estate Inc., donated hectares of prime real estate properties for the construction of churches, community housing and settlement projects and public elementary and secondary schools; and in the year 2006, presented once again a philanthropic gift to the city by donating five hectares of prime land along the Circumferential Road, paving the way for the NGC construction.
Also seen on the marker are the photos of the couple with their nine children: Lilia, Ernesto, Luis, Julieta, Aida, Imelda, Hector, Patria and Antonio; and the list of Fernando F. Gonzaga Inc. Board of Directors with Ma. Regina Tanpinco Piccio as president.
The marker will always serve as the portal in upholding the vision, legacy and spirit of Don Fernando and Doña Angela, which continue to enrich the lives in the community.