autosport.com
Search:
  PLUS LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 
A A A Email Friend
 GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX GO TO NEXT STORY 
Donington admits bond plan has failed


Donington Park says it has until midday on Monday to sort out its financial planning for the British Grand Prix, after confirming efforts to raise a £135 million bond have failed.

Reports emerged last night that its funding scheme had been pulled from banks, as it bids to raises the finances necessary to redevelop the track ahead of next year's British Grand Prix.

The track has already failed to hit a deadline with Bernie Ecclestone, which means it is now effectively in breach of contract. However, the terms of the deal do give the track extra leeway to rectify the breach before the contract is terminated.

That deadline, claims Donington Park, runs out on Monday - leaving track owners less than two working days to try and put a money package together before it loses the British Grand Prix.

In a statement issued on Friday, the track said: "Donington Ventures Leisure Limited can confirm that a bond for £135 million to cover the cost of the F1 redevelopment at Donington Park has been unsuccessful.

"Despite higher than expected levels of interest and very positive early indications, the bond - which was launched with Citi Group last week - has failed to secure enough subscription ahead of today's deadline.

"The news dealt an unexpected blow to staff and management at the circuit, who still have a deadline of 12pm on Monday 26 October to remedy a breach of contract with Formula 1 Rights Holder Bernie Ecclestone, in order to keep any plans for retaining the existing 17-year Formula 1 contract alive.

"Information regarding the circuit's future plans is not yet available, however the major focus is on providing security for the Leicestershire venue and all related parties, including staff and suppliers."

Silverstone is waiting in the wings and ready to do a deal with Ecclestone to secure the future of the British Grand Prix, with dialogue between the two parties having increased in recent weeks.

  ADS BY GOOGLE
 Go to earlier story Go to the News Index Go to next story 
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Enter Fantasy League Formula 1 2009
F1 2009 season guide
Get autosport.com news alerts to your mobile
Visit the autosport.com shop
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Ecclestone warns Silverstone over deal
Silverstone already in 2010 GP talks
Donington appoints Sir Rodney Walker
Donington's bond rated high risk
Donington unveils funding plans
Ecclestone denies Donington's deadline
Donington gets new deadline extension
Ecclestone pessimistic about Donington
Donington handed extended deadline
Donington confident over track progress
Ecclestone issues Donington ultimatum
Hill 'anxious' over Donington plans
Ecclestone: British tracks could share GP
Donington rebuild to begin in August
Donington gets final planning permission
Donington not concerned by F1 crisis
Ecclestone open to Silverstone return
Mosley: Silverstone may keep British GP
Q & A with Donington's Simon Gillett
Donington gets legal document boost
Silverstone fears for British GP future
Gillett confirms 17-year British GP deal
Donington's legal dispute resolved
Gillett insists British GP is not in doubt
Legal bid prompts new British GP doubts
Haymarket