Towns of Virginia Series: Millwood
Hidden away from the modern
highway that carries routes 17 and 50 sits the small community of Millwood,
a community that dates for over 200 years. Millwood's lifeblood for
numerous decades was the Burwell-Morgan
Mill completed in 1785 by Colonel Nathaniel Burwell and Daniel Morgan.
(1) The mill ran as a commercial operation until 1953. The
mill served as a merchant mill providing various milled goods to local
residents. (2) The mill is open to visitors Thursdays through Sundays from
May to October. Besides being a museum of the mill's past, the mill
also serves as the location of artwork and art shows for local artisans.
This program is known as "Art
at the Mill".
Quiet Store and Homefronts
Millwood is known for its
many antique shops, bed-and-breakfast's, and general stores. Many
of the structures in Millwood are old frame houses with various stone facades
and lined with limestone fences. The Clark House, built in 1842,
was a meeting place during the negotiations of Confederate colonel John
Mosby's surrender. (1)
The Burwell-Morgan Mill has
recently been restored to 1780s conditions and machinery.
Millwood is located in Clarke
County. It can be reached easily from Winchester and Washington.
From the East or West via US 17/50, Millwood is easily reached via VA Route
255. From the North or South via US 340, Millwood can be reached
from Route 723 in Boyce.
One of the many centuries
old stone buildings in Millwood.
A restored cart outside the
To Adam's Homepage
Old Dominion Road Photos
Sources & Links:
(1) Sutcliffe, Andrea. Touring the Shenandoah Valley
Backroads. Winston-Salem: John F. Blair, 2000. 60-61.
(2) VanMeter, Val. "Good
to the Last Grind - Burwell-Morgan Mill Finishes Work for the Year,"
The Winchester Star. Dec. 2, 2002.
Red School House Antiques
Bed & Breakfast Listing ---Go-native.com
County Historical Association
Page Created: January 5, 2003
Last Updated: February 9, 2003
(C) 2003 Adam