The Battle of Nashville Monument was commissioned by the Ladies Battlefield Association (Mrs. James E. Caldwell, President) and created by Giuseppe Moretti. (When you visit the statue, look for his signature on the lower right front of the bronze.) It was dedicated on Armistice Day (November 11), 1927 on Franklin Road near Woodmont Boulevard.
The horses represent the North and the South, whose forces clashed here on December 15-16, 1864. They are being yoked by a young man who symbolizes all Americans who fought in the first World War (1917-18), reuniting the country in common cause. The word UNITY appears on the banner with which he entwines the steeds.
In 1974 a tornado destroyed the statue�s 30-foot obelisk and the angel atop it. During the 1980s, the building of an interstate interchange left the bronze figures isolated on a bluff behind a chain link fence.
The Tennessee Historical Commission chose a new site on Granny White Pike at Battlefield Drive in 1992. Both Union and Confederate units fought over this ground during the Battle of Nashville. Volunteers subsequently won public support and funding for the monument�s restoration at the new home.
The restoration. The stone is white granite, quarried at Elberton, Georgia. The bronze figures--the only portion of Moretti�s original work to become part of the restored statue--face due east on the base. The six-foot Angel of Peace was carved by Coley Coleman. Tennessee Historical Commission Ward DeWitt officially rededicated the monument to the children of Nashville in ceremonies on June 26, 1999.
With initial funding from the Frist Foundation, later enriched by the generosity of others, work was begun in 2000 on the plaza and walkways. These amenities invite the respectful pedestrian to view this nationally significant work of art and history.
James Summerville served as lead volunteer in the drive that rescued the Battle of Nashville from neglect and loss.