GLEN, An Gleann. Idem.
A famous fair, held here
annually on the Feast of the Ascension, is commemorated in the
name of the well known air "The Fair of Glen." A second
air and song of reputed local origin is the popular "Seán
O Duibhir a' Ghleanna," commonly attributed to Pierce
Power of Glen (1685); this air was annexed by Allan Ramsey in
1724 and Burns, who calls it "a favourite Irish air,"
wrote two songs to it. Dr. Flood, however ("History of Irish
Music," pp. 121-2.),thinks "Seaghan Ó Duibhir"
is not of Waterford origin. The fair of Glen was held on both
sides of the river, hence the proverb:
"Leath ar dhá
thaobh ar nós Aonach a' Ghleanna."
The fair and
ferry rights were of considerable moment; the latter were held
- on the Waterford side - by the Hurleys of Glen and - on the
north side- by Captain James Power. Colonel Roche received a grant
of Glen for his swimming the Foyle at Derry, to communicate with
the beleaguered Williamite army. Roche was buried in Churchtown
graveyard and at his funeral Séamus na Sróna
delivered so bitter an "eulogy" in Irish that it split
Another quondam owner of Glen was Cullenan from
whom the place was called Gleann Bhaile Uí Chuileannáin.
Burke ("Family Romance") tells how Colonel James Roche
swam up the river at Londonderry during its historic siege in
order to tell the besieged of approaching relief, and that William
III. gave him all the undisposed ferries of Ireland as a reward
for his bravery.
This grant embroiled him in many lawsuits, and
Roche made fresh application to the Crown that upon surrendering
his former patent he might have the a grant of the forfeited estate
of James Everard in the Co. Waterford, "with some ferries
near his habitation" (Journal of Cork Historical and Archaeological
Society," Vol. XIII., No. 73, p.19.).
Area (in two divisions), 1,425 acres.
S.DD. (a) Carraigín an tSionnaigh - "Little
(b) Carraig Uí Bhuadhacháin - "O'Bohan's
or Bowen's Rock."
(c) "The Decoy." This word occurs occasionally
in place names; it denotes a contrivance in a pond, lake or bog
for entrapping game - chiefly wild duck.
(d) The Hop Yard."
(e) Bláthóg; this is the old name of the
road now known as the "Jinny Hill; it seems too signify -
"The Little Smooth Surfaced (or 'Flowery') Place, from Bláth,
(f) Carraig a' Chuaille - "Rock of the Pole (or 'Pile')."
(g) Tobar a' Mharchais - "Well of the Marquis."
(h) The Racecourse."
(i) Glaise - "Stream," called also Glaise
Phádraig - "Patrick's Stream"; from root
Glas, airy blue or green - the colour of water; it separates
the parishes of Dysert and Kilsheelan. The source of the stream
is at an altitude of 1,400 feet.
The Glasha rising out of the Comeraghs with Seanenabreagan in the background.
In the River occur the following:-
(j) Scairbh na Móna - "Stony Ford (or Shallow)
of the Bog"; this also appears to have been called "Ford
Island," from a small green island which has since disappeared.
(k) Scairbh a' Ghormógaigh - "Gormog's Stony
(l) Poll a' Chiarraighigh - "The Kerryman's Drowning
(m) Poll na Treasa - "Hole of the Fray."
(n) "Glen Weir."
(o) Poll a' Stompa - "Hole of the Stump."
(p) Poll a' Tobáin - "Hole of the Little Tub"
named from its shape.