|When the gift ship of the Dominion, HMS New Zealand, was decommissioned, she was struck from the Navel List in 1922, less than 10 years after completion and more than 10 years before being fully paid for. As part of the disposal of the ship, items were removed from it and put into storage for the eventual shipping to New Zealand, at the request of the Government. Thus 14 of the 4-inch MkVIIs were made available to New Zealand. The first mention of the guns in New Zealand is made in a discussion paper concerning the Auckland coast defences. Nothing came of the proposal, presumably for reasons of economy. Eventually the guns were emplaced as two saluting batteries: one with eight guns at North Head in Auckland, the other with six at Point Jerningham in Wellington. Of the six guns that were in Wellington, four were mounted as the Gap Battery at Fort Dorset in 1938. Two subsequently were remounted at Fort Ballance in 1941, all were later scrapped. The remaining two went to Battery Point in Lyttelton in 1939, where they served till subsequently replaced by 3.7-inch guns. They too were scrapped.