Yarra Trams is marking an important milestone in the history of the Melbourne tram network. The year 2006 marks 100 years of continuous operation of electric trams.
Electric trams operated between Box Hill and Doncaster in the late 1800s, but this service was abandoned.
From 1906 electric trams were here to stay.
The Victorian Railways operated an electric tram service from St Kilda to Brighton from May 1906 until February 1959.
The private North Melbourne Electric Tramway and Lighting Company opened in October 1906. Part of this system remains as the backbone of Yarra Trams Route 59 Airport West-City.