History

The Art Deco crest over the main entrance at Highbury

The Art Deco crest

It was inlaid into the floor of the 'Marble Halls', it sat proudly over Highbury main entrance on Avenell Road (see picture above) and was even forged onto the heavy steel doors themselves.

The hexagonal Art Deco "A-football-C" symbol has been synonymous with Arsenal Football Club since the 1930's and still appears today on scarves, badges and mugs in the Club shop; but what do we know about the history and design of this stylish Art Deco symbol?

Britain's leading authority on football stadia and author of 'Football Grounds of England and Wales', Simon Inglis, explains further...

"When Herbert Chapman took over the Club in 1925 it took him a little while to appreciate what the possibilities of a club in central London were.

"One of the first things Chapman and Claude Waterlow Ferrier [the architect of Highbury's East and West stands] did was to "rebrand" the Club.

"They created the symbol with the 'A' (standing for 'Arsenal'), the ball ('Football') and the 'C' ('Club'), which is in itself a fantastic piece of corporate branding.

"You look all around Highbury and you see examples of that. Taking football from the Victorian era into the 20th century. This is what Highbury embodied, the synthesis between architecture and innovation."

Although Chapman died two years before the iconic East Stand was opened his legacy and the symbol he helped to create live on. 

Art Deco Crest - Highbury doors

The Art Deco crest on the Highbury doors

Art Deco Crest - Highbury floor

The Art Deco crest inlaid into the Marble Halls

Art Deco Crest - East Stand

The Art Deco crest on Highbury's old East Stand

Art Deco Crest - Boardroom chair

The Art Deco crest on a leather Boardroom chair

Print this page Email to a friend

Bookmark with…

Delicious Digg Reddit StumbleUpon

© Arsenal Broadband Limited 2009 - Terms of Use & Privacy Policy - Website accessibility statement - Site powered by NTT Europe Online | Rippleffect