MWC football: Utes, Cougars looking up at TCU
Media tap Horned Frogs as MWC favorite
It's easy. Send a link to the story you were just reading to a friend. Just fill out the form on this page and we'll send it along.
HENDERSON, Nev. — TCU on top. BYU second and Utah third.
That's how the media predicts the order of finish in the upcoming Mountain West Conference football season.
"I don't really have a comment regarding the order other than they picked the three teams that have had the most success in the league," said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. "So regardless of the rankings, I think they've identified the safest picks in terms of consistency. What order will be more important at the end of the year than the beginning."
The annual preseason poll, which was released Tuesday morning at the league football meetings at the Green Valley Ranch resort, included 15 first-place votes for the Horned Frogs. The Cougars netted six and the defending champion Utes got three.
No other teams received first-place votes. Air Force, UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State and Wyoming rounded out the projected order of finish.
While acknowledging the poll's inaccuracy over the years and questioning its credibility, Mendenhall admitted it's a place to start from.
"I don't worry about it," he said before adding that being picked second is reasonable.
It's not, however, where the Cougars expect to finish.
"We have two conference championships in the four years (he's been the Cougars' head coach)," Mendenhall said.
"At BYU, the standard is that and so that's what we'll shoot for."
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, whose squad has won 14 straight games dating back to 2007, isn't all that concerned about being picked to finish third in the league this season.
"You don't really worry about it," he said. "I just know that if I was picking a champion right now, I'd pick TCU as well."
The Horned Frogs return seven starters on offense and four on a defensive unit that led the nation in defending the run.
"I've got to agree with TCU being No. 1. They've got a lot of good athletes coming back," Whittingham said. "Andy Dalton is an exceptional quarterback. I have to agree with that wholeheartedly."
TCU won three of the MWC's four preseason player of the year awards.
Jerry Hughes was the choice for defensive honors, while return specialist Jeremy Kerley earned special teams recognition. Running back Ed Wesley was tapped as the top freshman.
BYU quarterback Max Hall was named preseason Offensive Player of the Year.
Mendenhall said the senior has improved each year and has a good knowledge of the game, his team and leadership skills.
"I have no problem with the pick. I don't think it'll affect him, myself or our team one bit," he said. "I think it's a logical pick and I think everyone will say we expected that and we'll go about our business."
- Arrest made in Rose Park shooting 3:52 p.m.
- Utah CEO cleared of fraud 3:18 p.m.
- Progress on steroids threatened 3:05 p.m.
- Men discussed terror attack in India 3:04 p.m.
- Reid: May not meet deadline 3:03 p.m.
- Rod Stewart realizes dream 2:55 p.m.
- Stars switch on Christmas lights 2:55 p.m.
- Series helps Fox score in ratings 2:54 p.m.
- Accused Seacrest stalker pleads 2:53 p.m.
- Rising commodity prices lift stocks 2:52 p.m.
- Report details Prop 8 aftermath
- Is Great Salt Lake dying?
- BYU law professor Goldsmith dies
- Cougs excited for Jacobson's return
- Battle for U. QB spot continues
- Salt Lakers wear liberal label
- Miller sheds light on state of Jazz
- Jazz stumble in fourth quarter
- Jazz power forwards MIA
- 34 Albertsons now 'Fresh Market'
- Report details Prop 8 aftermath141
- Utah Utes football: Tough Wynn131
- Exploring mix of Mormons, politics117
- Utes 14th in BCS standings106
- Jazz stumble in fourth quarter100
- In defense of sister missionaries94
- BYU ready to return to Laramie92
- Letters: Care not a right86
- Competitive spirit can be bad80
- Poll: Most Utahns don't want vaccine79
The wealthiest of nations should always take care of its underserved. Sad...
If 1A and 2A is little league then it was really embarrassing for all those...
Wow' Scary,,I am sorry he is going to loose his job. But it was his choice...
'The fact is, the No on 8 side had more money, more big name celebrity...
["Mormons are trying to defend the sanctity and sacredness of marriage"] ...
South Sevier fans and supporters are the classiest bunch in the state bar...
To Not a right | 9:05 a.m. If you purchase something from someone and...
i've played 4 yrs at san juan and 3 out of 4 years we kick south sevier up...
'I DON'T SEE HOW YOU CAN SAY.....It really says nothing against same sex...
all the 2a teams run away and we are dumb