Xbox 360 VS PS3 in First Day Bayonetta Sales
Which version comes out on top at retail? Plus, guess which famous yoge managed to sell worse than Sin & Punishment.
Posted Oct 30, 2009 at 14:50, by Anoop Gantayat
Xbox 360 has the definitive version of Bayonetta, developed directly by Platinum Games. PS3 Bayonetta is a port job from Sega and shows notable graphical issues.
Players (and, far less relevantly, Famitsu) have already shared their critical opinions of the two. And now, the masses have spoken with their wallets.
Here in Japan, where PS3, in a bad week, outsells Xbox 360 10 to 1, the 360 version of Bayonetta had no chance of topping the PS3 version in sales. But it does seem to be performing pretty well.
That usual source for early sales data, the Sinobi blog, reports that the PS3 version of the game sold 93,000 units in its first day. The 360 version sold 45,000 units.
This disparity in sales is comparable to the likes of Street Fighter IV (PS3: 58,000, 360: 28,000) and Soul Calibur IV (PS3: 57,000, 360: 35,000). Devil May Cry 4 performed a lot better on the PS3, selling 140,000 units to Xbox 360's 28,000.
There was another multiplatform release yesterday: Namco Bandai's Tekken 6. In this case, the PS3 was a bit more dominant, selling 79,000 to 360's 22,000. "Tekken" as a whole (ho ho!), these figures are lower than the 153,000 of PS2's Tekken 5, but higher than the 50,000 of PSP's Tekken Dark Resurrection.
Other sales stats from the blog put Final Fantasy Gaiden at a respectible 85,000 and Wii's Super Robot Taisen Neo at 27,000.
Sin & Punishment only managed 5,600 units. But that was better than Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars' 5,100 units. Maybe this is why Capcom didn't handle Chinatown's publishing on its own (the game's publisher is Cyber Front, which also publishes the PC GTA games).
These figures are just for the first day of sales. If you want something more official, check back next Friday.
- Japan Prefers Piano Black to Pearl White for PSP go
- System sells 29,000 units in first day, according to Media Create. (11.06)
- Tales of Graces Has a Groovy Sort of Chat System
- Chibi characters are groovy. But not as groovy as mabo curry! (11.06)
- Yoichi Wada Not Worried About Final Fantasy XIII Sales
- Square Enix has bold sales plans for the second half of the year. (11.06)
- Tales of Graces Bundle Is... Pink
- Make sure you double bag this thing. (11.06)
- Iwata's Investor Q&A Session, Now in English
- See what the CEO, and Miyamoto, had to say on HD visuals, Zelda Wii, and cats. (11.05)
PR -- MUST HAVE TOYS