Two-month-old who died likely had H1N1

Canwest News Service   Published: Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Share This Story

LONDON, Ont. - A two-month old baby who died on Wednesday likely had the H1N1 flu, according to health officials in this southwestern Ontario city.

This is believed to be the first death of an infant, possibly related to swine flu, in the province.

The baby boy died early on Wednesday morning after being admitted to the London Health Sciences Centre on Monday.

An elderly couple in their 70s, also died from flu-like symptoms in London on Wednesday, according to the Middlesex-London Health Unit.

The elderly man and woman both had multiple underlying medical conditions but the baby did not, said Dr. Graham Pollett, the unit's chief medical officer late Wednesday.

"It's our understanding that the baby was healthy prior to being admitted to hospital," he said.

All three were ill with influenza A, but further testing will be completed to determine if they were also sick with H1N1. Results were expected in the next few days from the lab in Toronto.

"Although the exact virus subtype is not yet known, all three cases are likely to be the novel H1N1 strain, as it is the only influenza A strain currently circulating in the community," according to the news release.

The couple and the baby shared no relationship.

"We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends who have lost their loved ones," he said in a release.

The identities of the three have not been released but all lived in the London area.

So far, the province has had 37 confirmed swine flu-related deaths since April.

London is about 200 kilometres southwest of Toronto.

Canwest News Service

Close

FP's Stock Market Challenge is back! $60,000 in prizes. Register now for your chance to win

Reader Discussion

View All

Recent Comments

  • Bay BullsThursday, Nov 5, 2009

    Stop fear mongering and stick to reporting the facts.

    Flag This | Link to Comment

  • Mrs. P.Wednesday, Nov 4, 2009

    "Likely had H1N1" is not news. It does not provide facts. It is at best conjecture and at worst fearmongering. It should not be a headline and only serves to fuel the hysteria, as does the reporting of non-lab-confirmed cases as "probable" swine flu. We need factual information, not estimates, assumptions, "likely" or "probably", if we are to get this thing in perspective.

    Flag This | Link to Comment

More From National Post

More From the Web

Powered by Inform