This is the oldest part of the University campus. Its well-tended gardens and ivy-clad walls provide the backdrop for many graduation photographs. In the summer months it’s a relaxing and beautiful place to sit.
At one time, cars could drive through the Arches and in to the Quadrangle. In 1949 the Quadrangle was turned into a formal garden in memory of members of Newcastle University who gave their lives in the two World Wars.