GALT, Calif. (CBS13) ―
Dec 21, 2009 7:11 pm US/Pacific
Drinking Leads To Life-Saving Discovery For Teen
A Galt teen is back home for the holidays after the successful, seven-month-long treatment of a brain tumor that was only discovered after he made a dangerous mistake before school one day.
Last May, 13-year-old Evan Hamilton took a dare from his friends at McCaffrey Middle School in Galt last May and downed eight shots of tequila as fast as he could.
He passed out and was rushed to the emergency room to be treated for alcohol poisoning, and a CT scan at the UC Davis Medical Center revealed a tumor in the brain of the unsuspecting eighth grader.
The dangerous lapse in judgment turned out to be a blessing, according to his family.
"He is a good kid, and I don't want people to think he's a bad kid because he drank alcohol," said Jamie Hamilton, Evan's mother. "He made a mistake."
Within a week, doctors removed the brain tumor. Evan spent months recovering from the surgery and a tracheotomy that was also performed before he was allowed to come home.
"I just want to be with my family," Evan said.
A tube still pumps food to his stomach and he uses a breathing machine to sleep at night, but the tumor is completely gone, although Evan will still need to get an MRI every six months.
"I am just glad he's alive," Jamie said.
Evan will be home schooled until he catches up with his classmates, and hopes to return to school next fall.
(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)