|Contact Information||Argus-Press Staff||Argus-Press History|
|Contact Information||Back to top|
The Argus-Press Company
201 E. Exchange St., Owosso, MI 48867
Ph: (989) 725-5136, Fax: (989) 725-6376
|Argus-Press Staff||Back to top|
Richard E. Campbell, Chairman, Editor
Thomas E. Campbell, Publisher
Sarah J. Bazzetta, Managing Editor
Michael T. Kruszkowski, Advertising Director
Katrina Silvers, Circulation Manager
|Argus-Press History||Back to top|
There were newspapers in other parts of Shiawassee County before the first newspaper was established in Owosso. According to accounts of the past, the first newspaper in the county was the Shiawassee Express and the Clinton Advocate. The publisher of that newspaper was Edward L. Ament and it covered Clinton as well as Shiawassee County; it was published in Corunna.
In 1841 Ament established the Owosso Argus. In 1847 Ament died and the paper was published for a year by Ephriam Gould, son of Daniel Gould. The newspaper was then sold to M.H. Clark, who moved the publication to Corunna. The name was then changed to Shiawassee Democrat, but the paper passed out of existence in 1856.
The Owosso American was first published in Owosso in 1854 by G.C. and O.R. Goodell. In 1862, the Owosso Press was launched by Burton Hanchett and Gilbert Lyon and was purchased a year later by J.H. Champion & Co.
In 1880, George Owen merged his Shiawassee American with the Owosso American. The publication continued in Owosso under the name of the Owosso American. Then in 1890, H. Kirk White Sr. purchased the Owosso Press and Owosso American. The newspaper was known as the Owosso Press-American and later converted into a daily.
The Evening Argus was established in Owosso in 1892 by J.N. Klock and R.C. Eisley. This newspaper was purchased in 1895 by George T. Campbell, who had come to Owosso as secretary of the YMCA. At that time, the Argus was published in a basement on West Exchange street between Ball and Washington streets.
Later, the Argus was moved to the Cadwallader building at the corner of Ball and Exchange streets. The Press-American was located on South Washington street.
In 1916, the Evening Argus and the Press-American were merged. Mr. White was made postmaster under the administration of Woodrow Wilson and Mr. Campbell was editor and publisher of the merged paper. The name was shortened to Owosso Argus-Press. In 1919, the newspaper had outgrown its quarters and Mr. Campbell purchased the Amos property at the corner of Park and Exchange streets, a building occupied for years by the Union Transfer Co., carrying on a hack and dray service during the horse and buggy era. The building was remodeled for newspaper use and has been the home of The Argus-Press ever since.
Now in its fourth generation of active ownership, The Argus-Press is one of the few remaining independent, family-owned newspapers in the country.