For customers who need higher performance, lower costs, and reduced complexity in their IT infrastructure, Sun introduces the Sun Fire X4640, an 8-socket modular x64 server in a single 4U chassis that supports up to 48 cores. Its superior architecture gives you a competitive advantage by providing significant performance over competitive 8-processor servers from HP, IBM, and Dell.
At a Glance
- Half the size of competitive 8-socket servers without compromising performance and compute power
- Expandable from 24 to 48 cores in a single 4U system
- Designed with enterprise features including redundant capabilities and automated systems management built-in
- Choice of operating systems, including the Solaris 10 OS, Microsoft Windows Server, VMware ESX, Red Hat, and Novell SUSE Enterprise Linux.
- Among the best power and space efficiency for any rack-mount server
- Server virtualization
- Desktop consolidation
- Data warehousing analysis with databases
- Enterprise applications on Solaris
The Six-Core AMD Opteron Processor
Six-core AMD Opteron Processor provides a total cost advantage with greater versatility and workload optimization.
Configure your Sun Fire X4640 Server server to see just how low your power consumption can go.
Trade in Offer: Save up to 15 percent on Sun's newest hardware by trading in existing Sun and qualified competitive systems.
Sun Fire X4640 Server Gallery
Virtual 360° Tour
Have a look inside the Sun Fire X4640 Server server and explore its features and design in detail.
Sun's Six-Core AMD Opteron Based Systems
Explore x64 systems powered by six-core AMD Opteron processors.
Sun Fire X4640 Server World Record Benchmarks
The superior architecture of the Sun Fire X4640 gives you a competitive advantage over 8-processor servers from HP, IBM, and Dell.