Over the past several weeks, ROH officials and Executive Producer Jim Cornette have been working behind the scenes to address World Champion Austin Aries and his “Austin Aries Lucky Lottery”, which has been universally viewed as a farce, and ended with Tyler Black falling victim to a vicious fireball attack.
ROH officials unanimously agreed on the formation of a new and objective ranking system which would base championship matches on the merits of a competitor’s record, at the same time eliminating the chance for unfair or bogus title defenses, and creating a new sense of competition between wrestlers who are “climbing the ladder”.
It is with these ideals in mind that we are happy to proudly introduce the “Pick 6” Contenders Series.
To begin, twelve competitors have been selected by ROH on HDNet Executive Producer Jim Cornette to compete in six singles matches with the winners being seeded by ROH officials from one-to-six. Once the initial ranking is established, the “Pick 6” Contenders Series will function as follows:
- Only wrestlers ranked in the “Pick 6” are eligible to challenge for the ROH World Championship.
- The higher a wrestler is seeded, the more leverage he has in determining the scheduling of championship matches.
- Wrestlers securing victories in “Pick 6” matchups earn a match bonus.
- Once the rankings are set, wrestlers can only enter the “Pick 6” Standings by defeating a ranked wrestler.
- An unranked wrestler that defeats a “Pick 6” Contender assumes that wrestler’s spot, and everyone lower slides down one rank. The lower a wrestler is ranked, the more they have to lose.
ROH officials are encouraged by the simplicity offered by this system and look forward to a establishing a new level of competition around the greatest prize in our sport – The Ring of Honor World Championship.