CBCnews
Story Tools: EMAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK | Bookmark and Share

Maple Leaf settles class action listeriosis lawsuits for $27M

Last Updated: Thursday, December 18, 2008 | 2:42 PM ET

Maple Leaf Foods has agreed to pay up to $27 million to settle class action lawsuits over the deadly listeriosis outbreak linked to 20 deaths across the country.

The agreement states that Maple Leaf Foods will pay between $25 million and $27 million, subject to court approval in Saskatchewan, Quebec and Ontario.

The amount of each individual settlement will depend upon the severity of a claimant's illness, according to a document released Thursday by lawyers representing the claimants.

The estate of someone who died from listeriosis would receive $120,000, along with $35,000 for the spouse, $30,000 to children, $20,000 to the parents, $5,000 for siblings and grandchildren and funeral expenses up to $13,500.

Those who suffered for two weeks to one month will receive $8,000 plus $750 per day for hospitalization.

Those who consumed tainted meat and sustained "psychological injuries or trauma" lasting up to 60 days will receive $4,000.

People who suffered physical symptoms that lasted 24 to 48 hours will receive $750.

"Our clients are delighted with the result. We are working towards obtaining court approval and ensuring that the class members are paid immediately," said Ted Charney, a lawyer for the class action suit, said in a news release.

The outbreak was traced to a Maple Leaf Foods plant in Toronto. All 220 meat products produced at the facility were recalled and the plant was shut down while company and health officials tried to determine the source of the contamination.

Maple Leaf CEO Michael McCain has said two slicing machines are believed to be the most likely source of the listeria bacteria. McCain had apologized for the outbreak and said his company would take full responsibility.

With files from the Canadian Press
  •  
Story Tools: EMAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK | Bookmark and Share
 

Related

Canada Headlines

'Toronto 18' member gets 12 years Video
A young militant described as a mere "helper" in a plot to wreak havoc by setting off three massive bombs was sentenced Monday in Brampton, Ont., to 12 years in prison.
Tories win 'in-and-out' ad spending case
The Conservative Party of Canada has won a decisive victory in Federal Court over Elections Canada in its long-running dispute over the so-called "in-and-out" election financing scheme.
11 Canadians confirmed dead in Haiti Video
Eleven Canadians have been confirmed dead and 859 are still unaccounted for in Haiti since last week's devastating earthquake, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon says.
Windstorm batters B.C. South Coast
High winds wreaked havoc on the southern coast of B.C., knocking out power to thousands, shutting the Lions Gate Bridge, closing schools and forcing cancellation of some ferries.
Deliberations begin in Saint John teen's murder trial
A Saint John jury is now deliberating on the first-degree murder charge against a 16-year-old girl in the stabbing death of 78-year-old Frank Tonge last June.

People who read this also read …

Top CBCNews.ca Headlines

Headlines

Canadian Forces head to port town of Jacmel
Canada's disaster response team in Haiti will focus its aid efforts for the earthquake-ravaged Caribbean country on the port town of Jacmel, Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche says.
'Hope continues' for Haitian quake survivors Video
Rescue workers are still finding survivors buried underneath the rubble from last week's devastating earthquake in Haiti as desperate attempts to receive aid have sparked violence and looting.
11 Canadians confirmed dead in Haiti Video
Eleven Canadians have been confirmed dead and 859 are still unaccounted for in Haiti since last week's devastating earthquake, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon says.
'Toronto 18' member gets 12 years Video
A young militant described as a mere "helper" in a plot to wreak havoc by setting off three massive bombs was sentenced Monday in Brampton, Ont., to 12 years in prison.
Windstorm batters B.C. South Coast
High winds wreaked havoc on the southern coast of B.C., knocking out power to thousands, shutting the Lions Gate Bridge, closing schools and forcing cancellation of some ferries.