Naturopathic Medicine Degree Program
Developing future leaders in health care
Named by The Princeton Review as one of the 168 best medical schools in the country, the School of Naturopathic Medicine at Bastyr University is committed to developing leaders in the evolving field of natural medicine. Bastyr's fully accredited naturopathic doctor (ND) program is internationally renowned for its rigorous curriculum, comprehensive clinical training and groundbreaking research. With that in mind, there is no better place to earn a well-respected, nationally recognized degree in natural medicine than Bastyr.
Students come to Bastyr because they seek careers that resonate with their core values, including a belief in natural healing and whole-person medicine. They prepare for success as naturopathic doctors with the support of our state-of-the-art clinical training model, which trains students to formulate effective, personalized treatment plans for patients. This in-depth clinical training, coupled with Bastyr's robust basic sciences curriculum, is responsible for our graduates consistently earning top scores on the Naturopathic Licensing Examinations (NPLEX). And because our graduates speak the common language of science, they work as peers with other health care providers in integrative settings.
Learn more about what it means to be a naturopathic doctor and Bastyr's naturopathic medicine program tracks and lengths (4-6 years).
We are training physicians for the future of medicine. Join us.
Advantages of Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree program at Bastyr University:
- Highly qualified faculty coupled with a strong academic advising program.
- The University campus is immediately adjacent to the pristine 316-acre Saint Edward State Park, which features miles of hiking, running and biking trails.
- Students train extensively at the University's teaching clinic, Bastyr Center for Natural Health, as well as at several Seattle-area public clinics.
- A well-developed residency program for naturopathic doctors at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health. Bastyr University School of Naturopathic Medicine is a recognized provider of postdoctoral natural medical education by the Council of Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME).
- A multi-disciplinary curriculum allows students to explore natural health care modalities outside the School of Naturopathic Medicine. Classes can be taken from within the University's other degree programs in: nutrition, health psychology, herbal sciences, Oriental medicine and exercise science.
- The naturopathic doctor degree program offers a dual ND/AOM (acupuncture and Oriental medicine) degree as well as a naturopathic midwifery certification option.
- A research center, supported in part by funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), allows students the opportunity to engage in numerous research projects, including studies on botanical medicines, herbal supplements and complementary oncology therapies.
- Small class sizes coupled with the University's numerous resources, including: financial aid, student housing, gourmet vegetarian cafeteria, a health sciences library and a 51-acre Seattle-area campus.
- A diverse student body drawn from all across the United States and 35 other countries.
This is an exciting time to be a naturopathic doctor. Naturopathic medicine is a growing profession with demand for NDs ever on the rise. Many people are beginning to appreciate the benefits of using natural healing therapies and are exploring the advantages of integrative medicine. In fact, a 2008 study by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) found 38 percent of adults and 12 percent of children in the U.S. use some form of alternative medicine. People are realizing that a natural approach to healing works. Consequently, more career opportunities in natural medicine exist than ever before, more insurance companies are offering benefits for natural therapies, and many businesses are now instituting wellness programs for their employees.
This degree leads to such careers as a: