This page provides pictures and information about all the aircraft currently in the museum's collection. Some are on display, some are not. Some of the planes detailed on this page have additional photos which can be accessed by clicking on the more pictures hyperlink after the airplane's description.
This aircraft of the US Army Air Service was one of four biplanes that attempted the first flight in history to circumnavigate the globe. Two of the original four aircraft completed the trip. The "Seattle" crashed near Port Moller on the Alaska Peninsula and the wreckage was retrieved in 1967 through the efforts of Bob Reeve to go on display in the Centennial Aviation Museum that burned in 1973. The "Seattle" wreckage survived the fire and is now displayed at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum courtesy of the Alaska State Museum in Juneau.
In 1929, Ben Eielson purchased this Stearman from Noel Wien for the newly established Alaskan Airways, Inc. In November, 1929, pilot Eielson and his mechanic, Earl Borland, were lost on a flight in Siberia to the stranded fur ship, Nanuk. With only forty hours flight time, novice aviator Harold Gillam, flew the Stearman on this extraordinary search for the downed men. NC5415 was among the first to land on Mt. McKinley 1932, and also made historic flights to arctic villages with diphtheria serum in 1931 with pilot Joe Crosson. more pictures
Operated by Bob Reeve in the 1940's and used by him on famous glacier flights; one of six known to exist.
In 1928, the Hamilton Metalplane was the twentyfirst airplane purchased by Northwest Airlines, based in St. Paul, Minnesota. Wien Alaska Airlines purchased the Metalplane in 1937 and brought it to Alaska.
This aircraft is the same model flown by pioneer aviator, Ben Eielson, when he crashed near North Cape, Siberia in 1929. The museum example is one of two remaining in existence today. After an accident in 1939, Wien brothers sold the Metalplane and it belonged to various aircraft collectors in the lower 48 before being acquired by AAQHM. Noel Wien used a sister ship NC10002 to make the 1st flight from North America to Asia in March 1929.
The AAHM Travel Air came to Alaska in 1939 with "Mudhole" Smith's Cordova Air Service and later belonged to Peck and Rice Airways in Bethel. A number of pioneer aviators owned NC8159 including Albert Ball, Maurice Goff and Al Jones. Restoration, including the original 1929 EDO floats, was completed in 1999.
This aircraft first flew in Alaska in 1934 with Star Airways. It crashed in Rainy Pass in 1946 and was retrieved by Warren Magnuson several years ago. Acquired by the museum through a trade, the Bellanca is one of six known to exist.
Flown to Alaska in 1946 by former Governor Jay Hammond, the Loening is one of two existing today. Dubbed "The Old Patches" by Hammond, many adventures are retold in Hammond's book, "Bush Rat Governor".more pictures
The Pilgrim came to Alaska in 1936 with Alaska Air Express and was later owned by Star Airlines, Alaska Airlines and eventually the Ball Brothers Fish Company. As the last remaining Pilgrim, NC709Y is on the US National Register of Historic Objects.more pictures
The Stinson SR arrived in Alaska in early 1940 flown by Gene Effler. Orin Hudson of Nondalton, dba Hudson Air Service, purchased it in the early 1950's. He flew this aircraft several hundred hours on floats, wheels and skis to fly freight and passengers and the U.S. mail to area villages. Wien Alaska Airlines, Collins Air Service and Aho Flying Service were among other companies utilizing the Stinson SR type.
This Waco was flown to Alaska in 1939 by "Red" Flensburg to establish Dillingham Air Service. It was also owned by Bud Branham, who operated Rainy Pass Lodge in the Alaska Range. Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Rasmuson.more pictures
One of two examples surviving, the Senior Pacemaker is an improved version of the CH300 Bellanca Pacemaker. Although only the bare airframe survives today, this aircraft once flew with Pollack Air Service and Alaska Airlines.
One of Alaska's most historical surviving aviation relics, the AAHM Stinson SR-9 was owned & flown by some of the "who's who" of Alaska aviation pioneering. Initially brought to Alaska by Linius McGee the SR-9 Gullwing was sold to Oscar Winchell, "The Flying Cowboy", Ray Petersen, "King of the Bushpilots", Bill Lavery of Lavery Airways, Albert Ball of Western Alaska Airlines and the legendary Bill Munz dba Munz Northern Airlines in Nome. Inherited by Dick Galleher of Nome, acquired the unrestored airplane for the museum collection in 1988.
Morrison-Knudsen Construction Company purchased the Spartan from Dupont Corp. in February, 1943. Pilot Jon Brady flew it to Alaska for survey work during the construction of the Alcan Highway and military bases throughout the territory. In August 1944, the Spartan lost an engine and crashed near the Tetlin River. The wreckage was retrieved in 1994 by museum volunteers. more pictures
The Fairchild 24G Standard was used by the Civil Aeronautics Administration (now called the Federal Aviation Administration) during the 1930's and 1940's in Alaska. The Fairchild 24G was a type flown by Alaska CAA pioneers Clarence Rhode & Jack Jefford. The museum example was fully restored to flying condition by AAHM volunteers in 1997. Currently on display at the end of the C Terminal of the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.more pictures
The L-1 is a high wing observation plane used by the military during WWII. Its unique ability to fly fully controllable at 28 knots and still cruse at 105 knots made it an incredibly capable observation plane. Though over 400 were built, this is the only one known to exist today. Restoration began in 1987 and was completed in 1993. This aircraft was graciously donated to the museum by Karl S. Johnstone. more pictures
Donated by Chuck Hughes in 1993, the Stinson L5 was produced for the U.S. Army Air Corps as a liaison and communications aircraft. Many were produced for the British and operated in Burma under the Lend Lease Plan. In Alaska, the Stinson L5 was used by the 10th Rescue Squadron at Elmendorf & was the first aircraft used by the Alaska Civil Air Patrol.
While operating with the 10th Rescue Squadron in 1947 at Elmendorf Air Force Base, the AAHM Catalina landed at Dago Lake on the Alaska Peninsula. It was an emergency landing caused by engine failure. Declared government surplus, it was purchased by the R.S. Richards family, stripped of parts and left at Dago Lake until 1984. A gigantic recovery project conducted by the National Guard and the AAHM volunteers finally brought the huge amphibian to the museum utilizing two Alaska helicopter operations in 1984 & 1987. This operation was captured in a film called "The Queen of Dago Lake" and it is on sale in our gift shop.more pictures
The Widgeon is the smallest in the Grumman family of amphibious aircraft. Though it was originally manufactured for the U.S. Navy, it has been privately owned and flown by James Magoffin. Mr. Magoffin is a pioneer of Alaskan aviation, founding Interior Aviation, Alaska International Air, and Mark Air. He has personally flown this plane to all points within the recreational areas of North America. Mr. Magoffin is a generous benefactor of the museum donating this Widgeon and the Norseman. more pictures
One of the most famous twin engine aircraft ever built, the "Beech" was used as a training and liaison aircraft of the WWII era. Alaska UC45F's were used for search and rescue by the Army Air Forces. After the war, N1047B was operated by Ward Air Service in Juneau. A photo of this aircraft in flight appears in the Time-Life series titled The Bush Pilots.more pictures\
Designed in the late 30's, the Cessna "Bobcat" was flown by the military for flight training. After WWII was over, many were surplused to civilian air carriers. Known as the "Bamboo Bomber" because of their all wood wing, many were used in Alaska air operation. Six examples were modified for bush operations by Ray Petersen's Northern Consolidated Airlines. Petersen called his modified Cessna T-50's "Bushmasters". The air museum's example, NC30023, was recovered from an aircraft dump in Nome in 1988. The wood wing of NC30023 was a 3 year restoration project by Walt Eberhart, a Fairbanks resident and a former NCA mechanic, who worked on NC30023 while the Cessna was in service with NCA.
N789 was in service with the US Navy until being surplused to the US Fish & Wildlife Service in 1956. The immortal Grumman has flown all over Alaska from the Aleutian Islands to the Arctic Ocean throughout its service life. The Goose, N789, was donated to the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum by the US Department of Interior in 1997 through the efforts of Senator Ted Stevens. more pictures
Manufactured by Canadian Car and Foundry Co. to transport troops during WWII, the Norseman later joined the US Fish and Wildlife Service before coming to Alaska with Northern Consolidated Airlines in 1951. Interior Airways purchased the aircraft in 1955 to use during the construction of the DEW (Distant Early Warning, a defense system) line and for other bush flying. Donated by the Fairbanks North Star Borough and Jim and Dottie Magoffin. more pictures
This model was built by the Americans for the British during WWII. It was the last of the famous "gullwing" design for Stinson. After WWII the Stinson became available to the commercial market in the United States. Northern Consolidated, Wien Airlines, Alaska Airlines and Munz Northern Airline all used AT19s. This aircraft was purchased from the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California by Don Rogers and Bob Wagstaff of Anchorage and donated to the aviation museum, where it was fully restored by museum volunteers.
This helicopter served in Viet Nam before coming to Alaska with the US Army. It was used for approximately 23 years for search and rescue efforts in Alaska before being flown in & donated to AAHM. more pictures
This 737-200 series aircraft was purchased by Alaska Airlines in 1981 and flown extensively throughout the state carrying passengers and cargo to many remote locations. The Combi or "Mud Hen" as these birds were affectionately called, were equipped with gravel kits which allowed the jetliners to operate from unpaved airstrips in Alaska. N740AS (S/N 22578) was graciously donated to the Museum by Alaska Airlines in June of 2007. This "200" was flown to accomplish many firsts for Alaska Airlines and Alaska. Two of those notable firsts were in 1988 with the Friendship Flight from Nome to Provedenia and in 1989 the Bering Sea Expedition flight from Anchorage to Nome to Anadyr. The Museum anticipates moving N740AS to its new home on Lake Spenard in Summer 2008 with a long range plan to open the aircraft for exhibit in Summer 2009.