Media Release — KPMG in Canada
Who is leading the Web 2.0 Revolution in Canada?
KPMG and Backbone Magazine Announce the 2008 PICK20 Winners
(Toronto, July 15, 2008 ) - KPMG and Backbone magazine congratulate the top twenty winners of the first annual 'PICK20' Awards, the only national roundup of Canada's up-and-coming Web 2.0 pioneers who are leading the 2.0 evolution of the Web. These new emergent online social platforms designed to link individuals to each other, are now increasingly being used to connect companies to both partners and clients.
The PICK20 Winners for 2008 are as follows:
- Club Penguin - www.clubpenguin.com
- FreshBooks - www.freshbooks.com
- ConceptShare - www.conceptshare.com
- Cambrian House - www.cambrianhouse.com
- Smallthought Systems' Dabble DB - www.dabbledb.com
- Octopz - www.octopz.com
- Open Text - www.opentext.com
- Kaboose - www.kaboose.com
- Standout Jobs - www.standoutjobs.com
- NowPublic - www.nowpublic.com
- blogTO - www.blogto.com
- Jiibe - www.jiibe.com
- Something Simpler - www.somethingsimpler.com
- Mob4Hire - www.mob4hire.com
- MovieSet - www.movieset.com
- b5media - www.b5media.com
- SmartHippo - www.smarthippo.com
- ThoughtFarmer - www.thoughtfarmer.com
- Protagonize - www.protagonize.com
- Store Ops-Center - www.opterus.com
Winners were selected by a well regarded group of industry practitioners and pundits from a diverse range of professional experiences, including academia, marketing, public relations, corporate communications, venture capital and e-commerce. The judges are as follows:
- Dave Forde, Chair of TorontoTechWeek;
- Michael Geist, Law Professor at the University of Ottawa and Research Chair of Internet and E-Commerce Law;
- Mitch Joel, President of Twist Image;
- Sean Moffitt, Founder of Agent Wildfire;
- Michael O'Connor Clarke, VP at Thornley Fallis Communications;
- Rick Segal, Partner at JLA Ventures;
- Ron Shuttleworth, Equity Analyst at Jennings Capital;
- Kate Trgovac, Founder of LintBucket Media and online publisher of OneDegree.ca.
"Few foresaw the immense impact the worldwide web would have on the way we do business today, and I suspect that Web 2.0 technologies are going to add yet another dimension that will further alter the workplace as we know it," said Jonathan Kallner, National Industry Leader for KPMG's Information, Communications and Entertainment industry. "We are excited to have this opportunity to collaborate with Backbone on this initiative and we congratulate all the PICK20 Winners on their achievements."
PICK20 winners will be formally recognized in Vancouver at the Wosk Centre on Sept 16th 2008, and in Toronto during TorontoTechWeek at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Sept 22nd, 2008. At these events award recipients and PICK20 judges will participate in a lively panel discussion about the future of Web 2.0 in Canada which will be moderated by Backbone's editor Peter Wolchak.
"We look forward to this new ranking being a very powerful annual issue" said Steve Dietrich, publisher of Backbone magazine. "Given our mandate to publish unique stories about innovation for businesses in Canada, this issue is a great example of how technology can enhance businesses of all sizes.
For more information on the PICK20, please visit www.Backbonemag.com/web2.
For media interviews, please contact:
French media, please contact:
514- 840 2353
About KPMG (www.kpmg.ca)
KPMG LLP, a Canadian limited liability partnership established under the laws of Ontario, is the Canadian member firm affiliated with KPMG International, a global network of professional firms providing Audit, Tax, and Advisory services. Member firms operate in 145 countries and have more than 123,000 professionals working around the world.
The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG International, a Swiss cooperative. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and separate entity
About Backbone Magazine (www.backbonemag.com)
Backbone Magazine is a broad-based business magazine that specializes in technology for business executives who need to stay up-to-date on important trends inside and outside of the walls of their offices. It provides a tangible tool to enhance productivity and agility in Canada's changing economy. Furthermore, Backbone aims to provide advertisers with a high-impact and targeted media vehicle to market their valued goods and services. Backbone is in its eighth year of publishing and has been distributed nationally through The Globe and Mail as well as many other corporate alliances.
Information about KPMG in Canada, including mission, history and office locations.
Thinking about your next career move? Opportunities abound at KPMG.
For more information contact a KPMG professional.