2150 Agnew Road (between Lafayette Street and Mission College Boulevard)
This two acre park contains a neighborhood recreation building, children's playground, restrooms, picnic facilities, and basketball courts.
Agnews Historic Park
4030 Lafayette Street at Palm Drive
This 14.5 acre Historic Easement is located on the Sun Microsystems Santa Clara campus on property which was the site of the Agnews State Hospital. Four historic buildings within the park are preserved as part of the historic easement. The Auditorium and Mansion are available for public use by reservation. The park is opened to the public and provides restrooms, picnic areas, benches, beautiful trees and grass areas. Call the Parks & Recreation Office at (408) 615-2260 for more information.
This seven acre facility is located adjacent to Bowers Elementary School and Cabrillo Middle School. Bowers Park has a neighborhood recreation building for meetings, recreation activities, etc. It also has a small children's play area, large open spaces for active games, picnic-barbecue facilities and restrooms.
2582 Cabrillo Avenue
Bracher Park2560 Alhambra Drive
Covering three and one half acres, this park site has a large turf play area, tot lot, basketball courts, picnic-barbecue facilities, and restrooms.
909 Kiely Boulevard
(between Homestead Road and Benton Street)
A fifty-two acre park, Central Park has major facilities. The area west of Saratoga Creek contains group and individual picnic facilities, children's play area, public restrooms, amphitheater, parking, two lighted tennis courts, basketball courts, the Veterans Memorial, and a 30,000 square foot Community Recreation Center, which is the hub of the City's recreation programs.
East of the creek is the world famous George F. Haines International Swim Center, Bob Fatjo Sports Center which includes the Tony Sanchez Field (named for the former Parks & Recreation Department Sports/Aquatics Coordinator) as well as a second lighted softball field, the Santa Clara Tennis Center with 8 lighted tennis courts and practice wall, open space, a lake, large group picnic areas, parking, public restrooms, a lawn bowling green, exercise course, and the Central Park Library.
Fifty-seven United States Flags are flown on designated holidays at the front of Central Park along Kiely Blvd. The 9' x 6' flags were donated by Mission City Community Fund, with funds provided by Veterans of Foreign Wars. This display of flags is also replicated on holidays in front of the City cemetery with 21 additional flags. Collectively, these two flag displays are referred to as the City of Santa Clara's "Avenue of Flags."
Listed are the dates that the flags will be flown at Central Park:
Presidents Day: 3rd Monday in February
Memorial Day: Last Monday in May
Flag Day: June 14
Independence Day: July 4
Labor Day: 1st Monday in September
Veterans Day: November 11
City Plaza Park
Lexington and Main Streets
Santa Clara's first city park, City Plaza Park (all areas outside the Library) are the responsibility of the Parks & Recreation Department. The one acre grounds includes Mission Library Family Reading Center, a gazebo, picnic tables, benches and heritage elm trees.
Civic Center ParkLincoln and El Camino Real
A three acre park, Civic Center Park is on the El Camino Real immediately in front of the City Administration Offices (City Hall). The park is beautifully landscaped with colorful flower beds, a large reflecting pool, fountains, and benches. This park is the site of the Statue of Saint Clare, the City's namesake. The bronze statue by Anne Van Kleeck was cast by an ancient "lost wax process" in Italy in 1965, was shipped by boat around Cape Horn to Santa Clara, and installed that same year.
Earl R. Carmichael Park
3445 Benton Street
The Gymnastics Center, basketball courts, a little league field - home of Homestead Little League, picnic area, open space, two lighted tennis courts, and children's play area are included in this 10.5 acre park. The park was formerly known as Homestead Park, and was renamed in 1994 in honor of the former Director of Parks & Recreation who served from 1959 through 1994.
Everett Alvarez Jr. Park
2280 Rosita Drive
A large children's play area, picnic facilities, restrooms, basketball court and open space are in the one and one half acre park. The park was named in honor of Vietnam Prisoner of War (POW) Navy Lieutenant Commander Everett Alvarez Jr., the longest held POW in American history.
Fairway Glen Park
2501 Calle De Primavera
A large children's play area, open space, two tennis courts, and picnic facilities are within this four acre park, which is adjacent to Kathryn Hughes Elementary School.
1303 Fremont Street
The 45,000 sq. ft. Santa Clara Senior Center is located in this seven acre park. A new children's play area, rose garden, off-street parking, and exercise course are also located here. The park was designed to be compatible with the recreational needs of senior citizens, and as a neighborhood park for the Old Quad area of the City.
Fuller Street Park
61 Fuller Street
The park is 2.4 acres and includes children's play areas, picnic and barbecue facilities, open turf area, pathways, and a small restroom.
Geof Goodfellow Sesquicentennial Park1590 El Camino Real
This 0.3 acre mini park commemorates the Battle of Santa Clara and marks the City’s Sesquicentennial, 1852-2002, and the State of California’s Sesquicentennial (1850-2000).
On December 1, 2006, the park was re-dedicated as Geof Goodfellow Sesquicentennial Park after the City's former Director of Planning & Inspection, Geoffrey C. "Geof" Goodfellow who retired in April, 2005 after 34 years of dedicated service.
Henry Schmidt Park
555 Los Padres Boulevard
This eight acre park is home of the "Henry Schmidt Park Walls of Fame" which display sports memories from the forty years Henry Schmidt dedicated himself to training athletes, including Santa Clara University Bronco athletic teams and the San Francisco 49ers. The display is located in the large neighborhood building. You will find restrooms, the Tom Barrett Softball Field, exercise course, four lighted tennis courts, basketball courts, a large play area, and picnic facilities in this very popular park, which also has off-street parking.
2985 Stevenson Street
A six acre parcel with restroom facilities, a small children's play area, basketball court and more can be found at Homeridge Park. In addition, you'll find large group picnic-barbecue facilities which will accommodate 50 people at one time, and off-street parking.
Jenny Strand Park
250 Howard Drive
This is a five acre neighborhood park with a children's play area, basketball courts, open space, one tennis court, picnic-barbecue facilities, off-street parking and restrooms. The park is named in honor of Jenny Strand, an extraordinary 13-year-old teenager who was killed in an auto accident in 1986. Jenny Strand, at the time, attended Hyde Junior High School, was a straight A student, participated in 4-H, softball, the Police Activity League, and was a volunteer baby sitter at the library.
Larry J. Marsalli Park
Lafayette Street and El Camino Real
Open space, restrooms, off-street parking, a lighted softball field, and a children's playground are in this beautifully landscaped seven acre park. This park was formerly known as Lafayette Park, and was renamed in 1998 in honor of the former Mayor and Council Member and former volunteer firefighter, who also served for 50 years as the chairperson of the Santa Clara Parade of Champions.
Lick Mill Park
4750 Lick Mill Boulevard (between Tasman Drive and Montague Expressway)
A 10.5 acre neighborhood park, Lick Mill Park contains a neighborhood recreation building, a large children's play area, large open space, a basketball court, two tennis courts, picnic and barbecue facilities, off-street parking and restrooms. It includes a 3.0 acre landscaped easement along the Hetch-Hetchy right-of-way that stretches from Lick Mill Boulevard, through the park, and then along Fairway Glen Drive to
Live Oak Park
4025 Rivermark Parkway
Live Oak Park is the City's 30th municipal park. The 11 acre park includes a children's playground, picnic area, benches, pathways, restroom, parking lot and a large grass area open for play and picnics. Four live oak trees that are more than 100 years old, and were moved to the park from the former Agnews State Hospital grounds, surround the playground and provide a beautiful canopy for park users. Live Oak park is adjacent to the Don Callejon School for grades K-8.
3360 Cabrillo Avenue
The 3.5 acre Machado Park has a neighborhood recreation building, restrooms, small children's play area, turf play area, basketball court, little league field - home of the Briarwood/El Camino Little League, and picnic-barbecue facilities. The park is located adjacent to Briarwood Elementary School, and was once known as Killarney Park. It was renamed in honor of the pioneer Santa Clara family who used to farm the land where the park and school now sit.
Mary Gomez Park & Pool
651 Bucher Avenue
An eight acre park, Mary Gomez has a swimming pool, two tennis courts, basketball court and small children's play area. In addition, the park has off-street parking, an open play area suitable for games, picnic-barbecue facilities, and restrooms. The park was named in honor of Mary Gomez, an outstanding Santa Clara Unified School District teacher who also participated in the development of the City's Parks & Recreation Department. She also served on its first commission, which formulated the City's policy to try to place a park in every neighborhood.
3330 Pruneridge Avenue
A 9.5 acre facility, Maywood is located adjacent to Eisenhower School. It has a small children's play area, neighborhood recreation building, restrooms, two lighted tennis courts, off-street parking, picnic-barbecue facilities, and a large turf open space area.
Memorial Cross Park
Martin Avenue & De La Cruz Boulevard
This is the site of the second mission (1779-1784), established in the City of Santa Clara by the Franciscan Padres. The Santa Clara Lions Club donated a large granite cross for this park as a historical marker, and the area is landscaped with emphasis on early mission day horticulture. Sitting areas can be found in this half acre park, making it an excellent place for industry workers to eat lunch and relax.
Mission City Memorial Park
420 N. Winchester Boulevard (between Scott Boulevard/Newhall Street and Pruneridge Avenue)
This is the City cemetery, which is open to the public daily. The 25.5 acre cemetery, first opened in 1850, is available to all for cemetery services, and provides services to Santa Clara residents for reduced fees. Self-guided historic tour maps are available at no charge.
3595 MacGregor Lane
This is a 5.5 acre site, with improvements including a neighborhood recreation building with large multi-purpose room, restrooms, 2 tennis courts, children's play areas, and picnic-barbecue facilities. Montague Swim Center, adjacent to the park, offers recreational swim and lessons during the summer.
3675 Forest Avenue
An exercise course, play area, picnic facilities, restroom, and open space can be found in this 3.5 acre park, which also includes off-street parking.
Reed Street Dog Park
888 Reed Street (at Lafayette)
The Reed Street Dog Park is a 1.5 acre City park that is the only City park that allows dogs to run off-leash. All other City parks require owners to have their dogs on a six foot leash at all times.
Separate fenced areas are provided at the Reed Street Dog Park for large and small dogs (small dogs are a maximum of 18" in height at the shoulder) with each area providing grassy mounds, water, benches, trees, plastic bags, garbage cans and a shade structure. Parking areas and a portable restroom are included in the park amenities. Additional park rules and regulations are posted at the park.
Hours of operation are sunrise to sunset daily with the park closed on Thursdays for maintenance. For additional information, call the Parks & Recreation Department at (408) 615-3144.
1490 Don Avenue
A small children's tot lot complete with play apparatus, picnic tables, sitting area and off-street parking can be found at Rotary Park on Don Avenue, behind the Triton Museum of Art. Funds for park development were contributed by the Santa Clara Rotary Club.
San Tomas Aquino/Saratoga Creek Trail
All four segments (Reach 1, 2, 3, and 4) of the Creek Trail are open and provide a walking, running, and bicycling trail extending south from the San Francisco Bay Trail to Cabrillo Avenue. A City-maintained public parking lot at the Santa Clara Golf & Tennis Club, 5155 Stars & Stripes Drive, provides free parking and good trail access. The parking lot is shown by a red "P" on the Creek Trail Map (PDF).
» Reach 1 (Bay Trail to Agnew Road) - 1.76 miles (trail section complete and open)
» Reach 2 (Agnew Road to Scott Boulevard) - 0.84 miles (trail section complete and open)
» Reach 3 (Scott Boulevard to Monroe Street) - 1.25 miles (trail section complete and open)
» Reach 4 (Monroe Street to Pruneridge Avenue) - 4.0 miles (0.2 miles of creek trail section not yet constructed + 3.8 miles of bike lanes and routes that currently exist)
Reach 1 of the Creek Trail extends south from the San Francisco Bay Trail to Agnew Road. This segment provides undercrossings at Highway 237, Old Mountain View-Alviso Road, Great America Parkway, and Tasman Drive in order to provide a continuous trail without users crossing busy streets.
Reach 2 of the Creek Trail extends south from Agnew Road to Scott Boulevard. This segment with undercrossings at Mission College Boulevard, State Highway 101 and Scott Boulevard was opened for public use in May 2006.
Reach 3 is approximately 1.25 miles in length, extending from Scott Boulevard to Monroe Street along the west bank of the San Tomas Aquino Creek, with undercrossings at Central Expressway, Walsh Avenue, and the Caltrain railroad tracks. An at-grade crossing now provides a signalized traffic crossing for trail users to safely cross Monroe Street and connect to the Creek Trailhead where there is a parking lot for users to park. Existing Reaches 1 and 2 combined with Reach 3 total approximately 3.85 miles of trail.
Reach 4 of the Creek Trail extends from the Monroe Street Staging Area to Pruneridge Avenue. This includes the final leg of the off-street trail portion ending at Cabrillo Avenue which was open for public use in October 2009. The Pruneridge Avenue portion of the on street section, ending at the western City limits, is under design for bicycle lanes.
It is noted that all undercrossings may be subject to periodic closures during the rainy seasons when they are inundated by the water levels in the creek.
For information on closures of the trail for maintenance or weather, call (408) 615-3080.
Santa Clara PAL BMX Track
5451 Lafayette Street (south of Highway 237)
Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park
5049 Centennial Boulevard
The 11.5 acre Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park is comprised of three lighted regulation-size soccer fields. Two fields are natural grass. The third is made of the finest artificial sports turf available. The artificial surface allows practice and game activity year round in all types of weather. The facility's off-street parking lot can accommodate 100 cars. There is a 7,000 sq. ft. soccer building with concessions, restrooms, showers, lockers, and meeting rooms.
The facility is open to all youth soccer groups in the City of Santa Clara. This includes: Santa Clara Parks & Recreation Department activities, the Santa Clara Youth Soccer League, PAL Youth Soccer, and various schools in the City. Reservations can be made by contacting Jeff Driggs, Sports Supervisor, at (408) 615-3160.
2440 Cabrillo Avenue
Located adjacent to the Walter E. Schmidt Youth Activity Center, the 15,000 square foot Skate Park is open to Santa Clara residents seven days of the week. The Skate Park, which covers one acre, offers skateboarders and roller bladers a variety of streetscape for beginners to advanced skaters. Call (408) 615-3760 for hours and registration information. Helmets and pads are required (loaner safety equipment is available on a limited basis). The park was constructed and is maintained by the City on Santa Clara Unified School District land, under a long-term lease.
Steve Carli Park
1045 Los Padres Boulevard
Adjacent to Haman Elementary School, this three acre park contains a playground, basketball courts, restrooms, and a little league field - home of Westside Little League. Formerly known as Sunnybrae Park, the park was renamed in 1973 in memory of a young boy who had been active in the Westside Little League program.
4321 Lick Mill Boulevard
This 3.5-acre park, located between Lick Mill Boulevard and the Guadalupe Creek Trail, includes two playgrounds, 2 half basketball courts, a tennis court, restrooms, turf areas, picnic areas, parking lot and pathways. One of the pathways through Thamien Park connects residents to the Guadalupe Creek Trail and the VTA Light Rail System via the River Oaks Bridge.
Thamien Park, the City's thirty-first municipal park, is named after the original site of Mission Santa Clara (Mission Santa Clara de Thamien), first founded nearby. The area where the park is found was known as Thamien, named by the Native Americans who inhabited the region more than 250 years ago. The current Mission Santa Clara de Asis is the fifth mission site, now located on the campus of Santa Clara University.
1111 Bellomy Street (at the Buchser Middle School Campus)
Ulistac Natural Area
4901 Lick Mill Boulevard
Ulistac Natural Area, 40 acres of open space that showcases seven distinctive natural habitats, opened in Santa Clara in 2001 after months of volunteer efforts to restore California native vegetation and preserve wildlife habitat. This land was originally used as a seasonal encampment for the Ohlone Indians (Ulistac was the name of an Ohlone chief). See the Ulistac Natural Area Brochure (PDF).
The park is located along the Guadalupe River on Lick Mill Boulevard between Tasman Drive and Montague Expressway. Public access is provided from Lick Mill Boulevard and the creekside trail along the Guadalupe River.
Ulistac Natural Area is one focus of the Environmental Studies Institute at Santa Clara University and the subject of a special Ulistac website which was created and is being maintained by students at Wilcox High School in Santa Clara to record sightings of birds, animals, and insects in the park. The members of the Ulistac Natural Area Community Habitat Restoration Project (UNA-CHRP) have been the catalyst for other community members to become involved and to make Ulistac Natural Area a reality. Volunteers interested in helping with Ulistac Natural Area can visit the Santa Clara Environmental Studies Institute or contact Lindsey Cromwell, Ulistac Outreach Coordinator, at (408) 554-5419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no activity facilities, restrooms or picnic facilities within Ulistac, but these facilities are available across the street in Lick Mill Park. Irrigation in the park uses recycled water piped in from the San Jose/Santa Clara Water Pollution Control Plant. Like other municipal parks, Ulistac is open every day from sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. The trails have interpretive panels to provide additional information on the natural history of the area. Further information on Ulistac Natural Area is available by calling (408) 615-2260.
Warburton Park & Pool
2250 Royal Drive
A 6 acre park, Warburton Park was named in honor of Austen Warburton in 1962. Mr. Warburton was a descendent of a pioneer California family, and lived his entire life -- November, 1917 to May, 1995 -- in Santa Clara. He was a beloved civic leader, serving as a City Planning Commissioner, City Council Member and a Regent of Santa Clara University, and was known as "Mr. Santa Clara". Warburton Park also contains the Warburton Swim Center, picnic areas, open space, restrooms, a playground and basketball courts.
War Memorial Playground
295 Monroe Street
This 1-acre playground is found on Rip Miller Way just east of Monroe Street. The City's 33rd municipal park, War Memorial Playground, completes the Washington Park complex, also consisting of Townsend Football Field, Elmer Johnson Field, and Washington Park Baseball Field.
The new facility has a playground, restrooms, turf areas, picnic areas, and an adjacent parking lot shared by all the facilities. Memorial plaques located at the base of the flagpole honor the War Memorial Swimming Center which was formerly at this site, and recognize the 2007 park dedication.
War Memorial Playground features the artwork of Francine Agapoff, an artist and a native Californian who has worked for Disney Imagineering on the Paris Disneyland Park, and is known for her concrete artistry. The artist's sculptured ants and ant hill at the War Memorial Playground invite small children to play, climb and explore the wonders of nature.
Washington Park Baseball Field
Buchser Middle School Campus, 250 Washington Street
This park includes a night lighted baseball field - home of Santa Clara Pony Baseball. The 3.5 acre facility immediately adjoins Buchser Middle School, which is owned by the Santa Clara Unified School District. Elmer Johnson Softball Field (lighted;2.0 acres), Townsend Football Field (lighted;1.0 acres), and two outdoor handball courts on the Buchser Middle School campus are all located in the immediate area. The City built Elmer Johnson Softball Field and the outdoor handball courts. The City remodeled and upgraded Townsend Football Field and Washington Park Baseball Field. The City maintains these facilities, which are on Santa Clara Unified School District property.
Westwood Oaks Park
460 La Herran Drive
A small 1.5 acre facility located west of Lawrence Expressway, Westwood Oaks Park has a neighborhood recreation building that houses the Parks & Recreation Preschool program, restrooms, small children's play area, turf area, picnic-barbecue facilities, and a half-basketball court.