From Encyclopedia Dramatica
What really happened
- Joshua (aka LiveJournal user Andrew (aka LiveJournal user / ) sometime in January 2002 through the online service gay.com. / ) met
- Joshua and Andrew had sexual relations with each other twice; the first known sexual exchange was on Valentine's Day 2002, the second being sometime in March 2002.
- Andrew and Joshua went their separate ways.
- On November 4, 2002, Joshua made a LiveJournal posting in the University of Washington community outlining his distaste for homeless people spending the night in the Odegaard Undergraduate Library. Andrew, under the username (which has been suspended, hence the 'Reply from suspended user' entries in this post) got into some sort of argument with Joshua.
- Various other arguments and disagreements occur between Joshua and Andrew (or perhaps proxies of either) on LiveJournal and on other online venues throughout the next year and a half. A mutual despise develops between the two users.
What Josh thinks
- This is Joshua's version of the background (please note: he blames Andrew for everything):
fall,spring,winter,summer, recieve constant harassing anonymous comments on livejournal
winter 2003, harassing comments found on my professional photography website which also impersonate me and I am able to track the IP address, which leads to San Francisco and where Andrew self purportedly resides.
- LiveJournal user Normally I wouldn't make such links in my journal, but frankly JoshUA, mediacrat, has pissed me off, and I would like to share that :) outlines his 'experience' with Joshua/Mediacrat:
Timeline of Events
- May 1, 2004: Someone posted a "fatty" picture of Joshua in his 'mediacrat' LiveJournal.
- May 6, 2004: Someone made a fake Craigslist ad for Joshua
- May 7, 2004: Someone made a fake Craigslist ad for Joshua (again)
- May 8, 2004: Joshua makes a post in James' LiveJournal accusing James of either posting the "fatty" picture or perhaps giving the picture to someone else to post in Joshua's LiveJournal. Joshua then accuses Andrew of doing all of this and being a legally classified stalker
- May 11, 2004: First entry on LJ Drama regarding Mediacrat is posted. Fake journal shows up.
- May 11, 2004: Joshua gathers various emails from LJ Drama and James' LiveJournal and sends out the following email:
This is no longer a game, this is real world grown up stuff. So you had better play safe. Please keep in mind that I have done not one single thing to any of you aside from misidentifying Andrew as the auntie character. And kinda lost my temper and said a couple things that werent true so I just backed out. So just dropping it will not effect you in any way. Thanks for having a level head, and a little compassion? Someone posted a fat picture of me in my own personal journal. Someone will not leave me alone nomatter what. Someone from the internet made me change my phone number and put my home address and phone number on a website inviting men over for sexual pleasure. This is really bad you guys, please just help me by leaving me alone. I didnt do anything besides stop talking to him almost 3 years ago and id really like to continue doing the same.
- May 12, 2004: Andrew finally replies to Joshua's postings. This is the first time Andrew entered the situation.
- May 13, 2004: Joshua starts making litigious threats against Andrew, James and other LJ Drama admins. The "internet lawsuit" and "internet trial" jokes are born. James heads to San Francisco because he was subpoenaed for the Internet Trial. Internet settlement check issued for $10,000 by . has a Joshua encounter at a local grocery store: OMG I was just going to Safeway to pick up some soda and mediacrat followed after me and told me to stay away from his lj. I told him "hey, I'm just trying to shop. Quit stalking." Joshua also starts emailing internet service providers of people who responded to the email that he sent out on May 11:
A student of yours with the address (removed) is using his academic account to harass me. I feel personally attacked by the use of "e-penis" and sexually harassed by the word faggot. I have been researching your usage policy and found that these are strictly prohibited and hope that you remember this when abating this student. These attacks were completely and utterly unsolicited on my part, and if you follow through this email this fact is overly appearant.
I demand immediate and adverse action against this student or face further contact from me involving legal support. Thank you for your help, I can really use it.
I expect carbon coppies of all correspondences sent to this user. Thank you.
-Joshua R. Williams
- May 13, 2004: Joshua sends the following email to a local Seattle TV news station:
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:44:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joshua R. Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subject: Here's a doosie (IMPORTANT)
Please forward this to the investigative unit. I must warn you that it contains references to sexual behavior (I'm getting stalked by some internet creep and sexually harassed)
My name is Joshua Williams, a rising college student at the University of Washington who met some guy on the internet three years ago and he has not left me alone since. I have been being harassed for the past couple of years by somebody I do not know and it is starting to get really nasty. He has posted fake accounts about me in personal ad sites with my home address and guys have actually showed up here looking for sexual gratification. The owners of the websites are not even willing to help me remove the material, so right now there is an ad with my name, address, and statistics on it asking for: (insert craigslist ad here)
All of this is very true, and very disturbing. I have all the evidence already, I have been working very hard.
It is hard for me to admit this to you because I'm ashamed, but I have already had to change my number, my email address, and I'm changing my name as well. I have not yet gone to the police, but I thought it may make an interesting piece regarding information online and how one person can really get carried away and start ruining your personal and professional life. He's done so much crazy stuff we could have a hay day with this. Total trash. I'm a media studies student so I think I can catch an interesting, pressing scary story like this.
I have a huge stack of papers that would make this really easy on you, and I have not yet made a trip to the police. I could really use your help and legitimacy. Please contact me as soon as possible:
old name: Joshua Ryan Williams
- May 14, 2004: Joshua continues to threaten restraining orders against Andrew: you will have a restraining order against you in about 12 hours
- May 15, 2004: Internet Lawsuits Are Love colorbar meme appears: themoonfell gets credit for this!!! SHE RULES. Andrew is arrested and is held in internet jail.
- May 16, 2004: Internet trial over. Andrew acquitted of all charges. Drama calms down for a few days.
- May 19, 2004: Joshua posts his manifesto to his journal and also alerts James to an incoming voicemail. Joshua arrives in San Francisco to confront Andrew.
- May 20, 2004: James makes two posts (1, 2) to his LiveJournal regarding the two Joshua voicemails. Kalamata Olive reference begins on this day: Not to mention his is shaped like a Kalamata Olive.
- May 21, 2004: Techno remix of Joshua's voicemail for James appears on the Internet. AN OPEN LETTER TO HEYYSHWAH@YAHOO.COM: posts
Yeah, I'm going to come right out and say it: you are mentally imbalanced. You or someone close to you should institutionalize yourself. Just take a break, alright? Now is not a time for drastic behavior. Please, just step away from this all, leave Andrew alone, and think about how much you have caused this to escalate, think about how much of this came from within, and most importantly take some serious time to reflect on the patterns of your own behavior. Recognize the problem so you can start getting help.
- May 23, 2004: James makes a LiveJournal post regarding Joshua's threats on the voicemails: The police have not shown up. I have not been subpoened. I have not given depositions. I have not been visited by process servers. And I've been at home (with the exception of about 5 hours total) since Thursday. I've tried to make it easy... I guess they just keep missing me or something when I go to wash my hair or run to the store to get milk.] Also, on the same evening, James is confronted by Joshua at a bar in Seattle: Psychotic stalker strips down, asked to leave by LJ celebrity's husband.
- May 24, 2004: Another remix of Joshua's voicemail is released on the Internet. Flash animation game is also released.
- May 26, 2004: Joshua heads to Portland to confront LiveJournal and to meet with some real customer service agents regarding this sitiation. Related LJ Drama article.
- May 30, 2004: Ballad of J by D. Roberts Keenan is released on the Internet. Related LiveJournal post by bobbyq78.
- May 31, 2004: James makes a LiveJournal post about the Ballad of J (includes lyrics).
- June 3, 2004: James makes a "clearing house" post of information regarding Mediacrat. The post outlines various claims that Joshua has made, including (but not limited to) the following: negotiating a book deal/having an embedded news crew from MSNBC with him, demanding a million dollar loan from Brad Fitzpatrick (owner of LiveJournal), going into police protection for the next year, was hired by MSNBC, claimed to be in the process of writing a PhD dissertation on this entire experience, purchased a Land Rover, went to Las Vegas and picked up a few modeling contracts. Also, on this same day, LJ Drama was fake hacked. Many people believed that Joshua had managed to shut down LJ Drama. This is not true. It was down for maint. reasons.
- June 10, 2004: Various taglines of Joshua's ramblings on LiveJournal have shown up in real life. Example: I have an unlimited disposable income... and I will have your humility.
- June 11, 2004: Another Craigslist ad shows up on the Internet.
- June 13, 2004: It is discovered that Joshua has been placed in a mental health facility. James reports about it in his LiveJournal: At least mediacrat is getting the help he needs. Personally, I'm glad he's not harassing me anymore, which is exactly what he was doing. You all heard the voicemails. Several of you were there when he showed up to harass me in real life. I hope he gets on some meds and gets back into the real world. Sad. Related LJ Drama post.
- June 16, 2004: Someone starts sending anonymous instant messages to James regarding Joshua being placed in a mental health facility: apparently a bunch of his friends got together to throw him a fake going away party and instead they had an intervention.
- June 18, 2004: Digital Modeling Portfolio of Grayden Rane appears on the Internet. Joshua spams various other journals with the link to his new web site.
- June 19, 2004: So, mediacrat is out of the psych ward (according to his friends who kept on posting about it in their livejournals) and apparently he wrote html the whole time he was in there. Joshua also called James again.
- June 22, 2004: Joshua's legal complaint appears on the Internet:
Summary: I met an individual through a personals site in June of 2002 whom has been harassing me ever since. I never saw him or accepted communication from the defendant named Andrew (last name unknown at this point ever again, yet he continued ). This individual continued to harass and libel the plaintiff in a multitude of electronic communication environments in addition to molesting the plaintiffs personal space. The defendant interfered with the plaintiffs ability to communicate freely online and with his peers. In addition, the defendant removed personal property from a secure private premises, impersonated the plaintiff with use of pictures and counterfeit online profiles without the plaintiff’s consent.
- June 24, 2004: Joshua has started groundwork for a class action lawsuit against LJ Drama. Related LJ Drama post. Joshua also starts posting in the LiveJournal "seattle" and "uw" communities about his class action suit.
- June 29, 2004: Joshua is served with a temporary restraining order (lasting until July 6, 2004) that forbids contact with James. Joshua deletes his 'mediacrat' LiveJournal account.
- June 30, 2004: Joshua posts the following on his web site:
today I decided to remove myself fully from live journal and drop all proceedings relating to the site. you are not worth my time. all of you are very lucky that my boyfriend talked me out of this. but I am glad he did. we now return to you not knowing a thing about me, the way it should be. I hope you can not stop imagining how glamourous my life must be - because it is. I do not work or go to school. I am everything you cannot be or do. thank you all for inspiring me to be the best man I can be. but i do not need you any more. goodbye el jay. 4 years. i am the rain king. i am loved. i am lucky. i will be rich. i am beautiful. i am g r a y d e n
- July 1, 2004: Birth of 'mediacratalert' AOL Instant Messenger bot; this bot was designed to send messages to certain individuals whenever Joshua updated his journal or web site contents.
- July 2, 2004: Joshua posts the following on his web site:
[ 0 7 / 02 / 0 4 ] I just put up my signed=by=the=entire=band Death Cab For Cutie Seattle show poster up. Ahhhhhh. passing through unconcious states. i was on the high way. uglyandy: i have everything you wish you had...including a neck.
[ 0 7 / 02 / 0 4 ] yesterday pete* (*names have been changed to protect identity) and I were walking by a fine department store* (locations too) and I decided I wanted to work there. I walked in and had a meeting with two managers. They loved my ipaq. I think they will give me the position which puts me in way of designers and that is gooooood news. plans for the 4th are for home and with him, so I am happy. i am the rein king.i hold the lasso. i t o l d y o u i w o u l d . i am g r a y d e n. and rachel green hahaha.
- July 5, 2004: Joshua continues to make updates on his web site regarding James, Andrew, LJ Drama and frivilous litigation. This is occurring on the evening before the hearing for the 1-year restraining order.
- July 6, 2004: Restraining order issued prohibiting Joshua from contacting James and from being within 500 feet of James' work/residence and 50' from James in any public place. View photos from the courtroom. LiveJournal user Brettro82's accounts of the day in court are available here, along with various Mediacrat commentary/anonymous comments.
- July 7, 2004: Joshua undeletes his 'mediacrat' LiveJournal account.
- July 9, 2004: Joshua makes a post in the Seattle community claiming to work for Emerald City Model and Talent:
NEED MONEY NOW?
My name is Grayden and I am a talent scout for Emerald City Model and Talent LLC.. Check the site to see what businesses we get people in to.
- July 10, 2004: Comments on the above-referenced post are disabled. New entry shows up here: Gee, I wonder why the model boy disallowed comments? Post reaches 100+ comments within hours, including this statement from Joshua about why he left the courtroom early:
james wanted a CIVIL restraining order, he got one
i could walk out because it was not criminal and i didnt even have to be there
im bored with you and embarassed that i used to have you on my friends list i think. bye
- July 19, 2004: Last known update of Joshua's LiveJournal (per the extended userinfo page) Account is now suspended.
- August 9, 2004: Last known update of Joshua's University of Washington student account.
A troll account that first appeared during the Mediacrat drama, but later went on to make appearances in others, such as the Tatasmasgrande/Magndoodle drama and the Intervocalic (aka Get Busy Living or Cheeseboy) drama.
Mediacrat quick reference media files
- internet check JPG
- original voicemail OGG
- second voicemail OGG
- voicemail remix MP3
- Ballad of J MP3 (ED link here)
For transcripts, please see the Mediacrat Voicemails
|Mediacrat is part of a series on Trolls.||