By Official Release
Posted Mar 1 2010 3:21PM
NEW YORK, March 1, 2010 -- The Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James and the Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Feb. 22-28.
James averaged a double-double for the week, pacing the Eastern Conference in scoring (30.7 ppg) while ranking second in assists (10.3 apg). Cleveland won all three of its games. On Feb. 25, James scored a game-high 36 points and dished a team-high nine assists as the Cavaliers won in Boston, 108-88. He duplicated those numbers a night later in a 126-118 win in Toronto.
Nowitzki led the league scoring (31.8 ppg) and paced the Mavericks to a 4-0 record as Dallas extended its win streak to seven. Nowitzki added averages of 8.8 rebounds and 3.3 assists. On Feb. 28, Nowitzki recorded a game-high 36 points to go along with eight rebounds, seven assists, three steals and two blocks in a 108-100 win vs. New Orleans.
Here is a recap of the week for James and Nowitzki:
LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
• Feb. 26 @ Toronto: Recorded game highs of 36 points and nine assists in a 126-118 win over the Raptors
• Feb. 25 @ Boston: Scored a game-high 36 points and dished a team-high nine assists in a 108-88 victory at Boston.
• Feb. 23 vs. New Orleans: Tallied 20 points and recorded a game-high 13 assists in a 105-95 win against the Hornets.
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
• Feb. 28 vs. New Orleans: Recorded 36 points, eight rebounds, seven assists, three steals and two blocks in a 108-100 win vs. New Orleans.
• Feb. 26 @ Atlanta: Recorded 37 points and nine assists in a 111-103 overtime win at the Hawks.
• Feb. 24 vs. L.A. Lakers: Totaled 31 points and nine assists in a 101-96 win over the Lakers.
• Feb. 22 vs. Indiana: Recorded 23 points and seven assists in a 91-82 win over the Pacers.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Atlanta's Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, Boston's Rajon Rondo, Dallas' Jason Kidd, Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut, Orlando's Dwight Howard, Phoenix's Amar'e Stoudemire, Utah's Carlos Boozer and Washington's Andray Blatche.•
|Haywood leaves Mavs game with tightness in lower back|
|Hunter rejoins Bulls as player development assistant|
|Pistons' Stuckey collapses during game|
|Martin, Lawson out for Nuggets against Pacers|
|Skiles talks with Jennings about postgame remarks|
|Mavericks' Terry to miss 10-14 days after surgery|
|James adds minutes played to list of Cavs records|
|Bosh sent to hospital with stomach pains|
|Thunder sign G Anderson to second 10-day contract|
|Finley signs with Celtics, should play Sunday|
LeBron James had 40 points, 13 rebounds and six assists as the Cavaliers beat the Pistons in Cleveland.
|Assist of the Night|
Manu Ginobili gives the sweet inside dish to DeJuan Blair for the bucket.
|The Daily Zap|
See action from all 11 games on Friday night in less than three minutes.
|Steal of the Night|
LeBron James gets the steal and takes off from just inside of the free-throw line for the slam.
|Friday's Top 10|
Dunks, blocks, assists and two plays from LeBron James highlight Friday's Top 10.
|Thunder vs. Clippers|
Kevin Durant scores 32 points and grabs nine rebounds as the Thunder beat the Clippers in southern California.
|Not in My House|
Dirk Nowitzki overpowers Carl Laundry to force a jump ball.
|Haier Play of the Day|
Kobe Bryant passes to himself off of the backboard and then finishes with the layup.
|Block of the Night|
LeBron James gets back on defense to swat the shot on the break.
|Dunk of the Night|
Jason Kidd throws the alley-oop to Rodrigue Beaubois who rises up for the monster dunk.