Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
How to Bypass PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Connect to PSN
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 09:28 AM by Saner.)
How to Bypass PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Connect to PSN
Best to mute sound unless you like crap music

Quote:How to use:

run the LG5tool exe (this is attatched here, but can be googled of course)
click on the frimware update box so its checked
then click start proxy it will show you ur ip adress
go to ps3 and click network settings
click on internet connection settings
click on the custom method
click wireless or wired (what ever you are using)
#wireless only: click scan
#select ur wireless conection (ssid)
# confirm ur ssid(network name)
#select your security settings and fill out ur password and ursername
click automatic for "ip adress settings"
click do not set for "DHCP hst name"
click automatic for "dns settings"
click auto matic for "mtu"
click use for "proxy server"
type in your ip adress that shows in LG5tool itll be somthing like "192.168.x.xxx" (the x are numbers that are diffrent for every one for example mine is 192.168.1.101)
click enable for "upnp"
then test your conection

Sign In then uncheched frimware update box and Sign in

PLEASE NOTE, I have not tested this, I was happy to update

Attached File(s)
.zip  LG5tool.zip (Size: 28.17 KB / Downloads: 5)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
[Image: userbar811130.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 05:14 PM by Saner.)
RE: How to Bypass PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Connect to PSN
For Linux

Quote:This is very simple to do (under Linux), with Windows- hopefully someone can get the Ettercap port working properly (I can't!) We are assuming that your PC had your run of the mill development tools installed, if not, check with your distro.

Note: No, you can not run this under PS3 Linux (unless of course, you have two PS3's). We are also assuming that you have a small network set up, with at least one PC, and the PS3 on it, connected into some type of modem.

How It Works:

The PS3 requests a page from $ony servers, that has the latest Firmware version, a download link, region info, etc..
We are hijacking that DNS request, and redirecting the request to our Web server. The Web server has the same files as the $ony servers, modified however to report a 0.00 Firmware version.

The PS3 then will check the file it received (the above mentioned file). It removes data (such as Firmware version), and checks it against its own. If the PS3 has a lower FW version than the $ony server, it needs to update. BUT, if the $ony server has a lower version number (or the same), it does not need to update.

1) Open a terminal window.

2) cd to an empty directory of your choice.

3) Type:
Code:
wget http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ettercap/ettercap-NG-0.7.3.tar.gz
[PRESS ENTER]

4) Type: tar xf ettercap-NG-0.7.3.tar.gz
[PRESS ENTER]

5) Type: cd ettercap-NG-0.7.3
[PRESS ENTER]

6) Type: ./configure --enable-plugins
[PRESS ENTER]

7) A bunch of configuration checks and options should scroll by, once completed, at the bottom, should look like this:

Functionalities:

Debug mode ............. no
Plugin support ......... yes
Passive DNS ............ yes
Perl regex in filters .. no
Iconv UTF-8 support .... yes
7a) If it fails at any time, due to a dependancy issue, install it (a simple yum/apt-get install XYZ usually does it).
7b) If Plugin support is no, re-install libtool.

8) Type: make
[PRESS ENTER]

10) Type: make install
This copies all the files to where they need to be.

Note: One could also use a text editor to edit the etter.dns file, or any method you choose!

11) Type: cd /usr/local/share/ettercap/
Note: If the cd command fails, try cd /usr/share/ettercap/

12) In your etter.dns, add: download-prod.online.scea.com A ApacheIPAddress

13) Time to play! Turn your PS3 on, connect an ethernet cable, get it booted, network configured etc (to the Internet!)

Note: if your ethernet adapter is not at eth0, change it to eth1, etc!

14) Type: ettercap -T -Q -M arp -i eth0 // // -P dns_spoof

Now leave it alone, it will output a lot of stuff, wait 30 seconds, and go to the PS3, try the store, etc!

Output on PC should look like: dns_spoof: [fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net] spoofed to [67.15.88.46]

The Web server is conviently hosted by us, and any updates are removed, Firmware version is spoofed at 0.00, so unless you’re running a pre 0.00 Firmware, (which you are not) it will work perfectly!

Hopefully a Windows version will be along soon (although Linux works perfectly, the world somehow still uses Windows).

For the future: When the big $ shuts it down w/ a Firmware upgrade (dont use DNS to resolve, go straight IP?), there is still hope! We may be able to spoof the entire store, and use PKG files (aka games/videos etc) on our own Web servers, and install them to the PS3 in a roundabout way.

Also, there is a large potential (with the proper modifications to the PUP) for downgrading! :tupbig2

Enjoy,

01-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:Here's a simple way to setup your PS3 to bypass the firmware check using a Windows machine as a dns server, its basically the same thing as what Wii users did to use the wii shop as a browser:

1) Download the SimpleDNS software from http://www.simpledns.com/download.aspx

2) Run SimpleDNS (you don't have to reboot despite the installer telling you to..), click on the Records button

3) In the records window, click on Tools > Quick Domain Wizard

4) for domain name enter: ps3.update.playstation.net

for Web server IP enter 67.15.88.46

delete the Secondary DNS name entry, you do not need it

5) Now that you have your new server added, you need to add A Name entries so the ps3 gets redirected on the firmware requests, to do this simply right click and choose New Host Address (A-Record)

6) we need to add two A-Name entries, depending on what region you are in. You can add as many as you'd like if you want to cover your bases though

For the us, we need fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net and dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

So, In the host address window, enter fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net for Record name, and 67.15.88.46 for IP Address, set the Time To Live to 999 days. Repeat this for dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

7) your end result should be a setup similiar to this, once done simply close the records window in SimpleDNS so that it is back at the activity window

8) On your playstation 3, go into internet settings and enter manual setup and set your PS3's DNS server entry for the IP of the pc on your lan which is running SimpleDNS, then away you go!

Another one for Windows.

01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
nice info as they "steal" the Linux capability with 3.21...

once a game comes out which needs 3.21++ it's time to update I guess; God of War 3 already needs 3.15 (and comes preshipped with this FW)
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
The trouble is its removing a feature, it could be in a years time the browser has been exploited and Sony say "Well lets just remove it then, nobody cared last time"

I have a slim, so it makes no difference to me (even if I had a phat I wouldnt run Linux on it, I have that on my laptop) but I dont like the idea od Sony removing features.

Geohot says he may write a custom firmware for it, who knows if it is true or not (I have my doubts) but Sony (and Microsoft / Nintendo) should patch holes and add features, not remove them.

01-04-2010, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010 09:58 PM by Saner.)
theblacksheep Wrote:Thankyou, I am running firmware 3.15 on the Japanese fatty and I'm signed into PSN. Thanks Saner for the info and link, it does work.

My PS3 Proxy is running on server 2003 where i needed an additional winsck file dumped in windows\system32 before it would work. I understand 7/vista also requires a file to make the proxy app work, not sure if its the same one.

So, no need to update, not being offered anything new or decent, which is what I find annoying, they could have added something as an incentive that the masses actually wanted considering they are taking away an unwanted fringe functionality.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/12263...st11879618

02-04-2010, 08:58 AM
theblacksheep Wrote:For Windows 32bit only (only server 2003 tested)

1) Get lg5tool.exe*

2) place on a windows drive and run

3) For server 2003 I got an error about MSWINSCK.OCX not registered.

4) find MSWINSCK.OCX and place in %windows%\system32 (usually C:\windows\system32)*

5) Run lg5tool.exe again

6) start proxy: note IP address and port.

7) reconfigure your PS3 network settings for a proxy to point to the proxy address and port.

8) attempt to sign in (it'll fail)

9) On the lg5tool untick the firmware update box

10 attempt to sign in again (should work).

* placing stuff you don't know about in windows\system32 can be extra dangerous. Isolatied Virtual Machines are great for testing files if you dont trust them.

* vista/7 apparently requires different files from the above, dont expect the same to work... I think this is down to how the program is written.

** I wouldn't recommend poisoning your DNS by putting in DNSservers you don't know about. Like many proxy sites" that can appear well meaning....

*** I take no responsibility if Sony ban you for connecting with an old firmware. They have not done it with the PSP.... but they may be different here.

02-04-2010, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 09:22 AM by Saner.)
Lets be subtle :Y

Why Not Sign Up and Say Thanks if this helped you!!

02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I have had a modded wii for over a year, even got the whole rock band crap, the wii fit board. and bunch of other crap and it has been used 6 times in last 8 months LOL. the usbloader is sweet though using external hard drive and just scroll down the games. was gonna get ps3 but i thought there was NO way to mod them?
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 07:45 PM by Saner.)
You cant mod them as it stands, but a hacker (same bloke who originally broke the iphone protection) has gained access to the hypervisor, and thats the first step. (if you beleive him, see here - http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/ | http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8478764.stm )

So to counter that Sony are removing the Other OS option because he gained access via that.

Its like taking a sledghammer to insert a drawing pin

I have a modded Wii, I must ave 30 / 40 games for it and all I have ever played is Boom blox :Y

the new silent hill is ok though