Link to a Non-Graphical version of this web.

 
 
 |   |       

 KSU Logo and Link

Registrar's Logo

 

A brief history of the black squirrel at
Kent State University

Black Squirrel on rock.

Ten rare black squirrels were imported from Canada in February 1961 by Larry Woodell, superintendent of grounds, and M. W. Staples, a retired executive of the Davey Tree Expert Company. When first released, the large, black-spiked squirrels were frequently mistaken for skunks. Today they own the campus. The Black Squirrel Festival started in 1981 as a day-long event held on the Student Center Plaza to introduce new students to campus and community organizations. Now it features barbeques, live bands, and local artisans.

Black Squirrel Festival at the Student Center Plaza

Image and text from: "A Book Of Memories : Kent State University 1910-1992", page 258

Edited by: William H. Hildebrand, Dean H. Keller, & Anita D. Herington

© 1993 by The Kent State University Press - Kent, Ohio 44242

 


Contact and location information can be found on the Contact Page
Web site related inquiries should be directed to: The Webmaster
Copyright © 2002 Office of the University Registrar, Kent State University.  All rights reserved.
Office of the University Registrar
         108 Schwartz Center
         PO Box 5190
         Kent, Ohio 44242-0001
        Phone: (330) 672-3131
         FAX:(330) 672-4836