Welcome to Directory Opus Magellan-II!
These Amiga pages are
available for Historical reasons.
GPSoftware no longer actively develops products for the Amiga.
Home | Dopus
PLUS | Features | Magellan II Support
| Reviews | Orders
Newsflash: Free Upgrade to version 5.81 now
available. See Magellan II Support
Opus Magellan II
The Essential Workbench Replacement and File Management system for
|The Magellan-II version not only upgrades many of the earlier functions
but also involves an extensive re-development of many components of the Opus 5 system to
give you enhanced usability, especially in the Workbench Replacement Mode. Amongst other
features, in this version we have concentrated on providing greater user control over your
custom Environment with a more powerful but easier to use configuration section, plus many
new features such as custom Themes, custom sounds and scripts, improved User and Start
Menus, greater Lister functionality, and a dramatically enhanced OpusFTP system where you
can now tailor custom setting for individual remote sites and even leave out the site or
remote files on your Opus desktop for instant access.
Summary of Enhancements:
Amongst many other features, the Magellan version gave you:-
- Enhanced Lister functionality including:- command functions
which act on icon mode Listers; new popup menus; optional Space Gauge showing free space
on drives, Inline Editing for Name mode Listers and the ability to drag and drop files
directly into sub-directories.
- A new integrated system of Start Menus.
- A new Desktop Folder mechanism: Drag and drop items to the
desktop with the support of optional popup menus.
- A new Icon Positioning system. Configure areas where icons
will appear and their priority.
- Improved Icon dragging routines plus global control of icon
labels and borders; icon label splitting for long labels; a new Icon Command function for
special "command" files; and the ability to use traditional Workbench icon
positions for icons or exclusive Opus positioning.
- New Popup menus with shadow look.
- Integrated NewIcons support not just for icons but for all
system images including graphic button banks plus support for image and animation file
formats including DPaintV/PPaint AnimBrushes.
The new Opus Magellan-II version refines and
extends these features further. (Note: Click on any of the links to see more details
on the new feature)
The new features include:-
- Custom Themes
- customise your system with your favourite images, sounds, fonts and colours
- Improved Lister layouts
including proportional fonts, resizable fields, sort indicator, better in-line editing
- An amalgamated Options and Environment editor to give you a more intuitive layout for
better management of the display and program operations
pictures in button banks and start menus.
- Random Background images.
- New Outline and Shadow fonts options for Workbench display.
- Fully user-configurable
screen title for display of used and available memory, OS versions,
- New Sound events
for Opus and system events - attach a sound to inserting and removing a disk! Even use
Random Sounds for opening a lister!
- New Opus Path List
settings allowing you to easily set the system paths for commands etc.
- Support for File systems with filenames up to 107 characters.
- Revised internal commands with many now replaceable by
user-defined scripts and functions
- New graphical layout
and better configurability of Button banks and start menus including an
'auto-close' feature. Buttons now support "Active Popups" - an extended
popup menu feature where each button act as a start menu
- Enhanced Scripts system with more events and linking to
internal commands and OpusFTP.
- Improved Start
Menus. You can now have multilevel menus and start menus are now always
- Improved filetype identification system with better control of
multitasking for large directories and CDs and new filetype matching functions to match
foreign disk types.
- New and extended icon and Lister
- Improved Snapshot
ability for Listers, Icon modes and Groups.
- New Icon Information
requester with more detailed display plus new functionality such as ability
to change icon type and edit the icon images.
- Improved support for Drag and Drop
- Better Icon support with faster displays.
- Many new ARexx commands to control Opus.
This functionality is complemented by a dramatically
enhanced OpusFTP module which seamlessly integrates FTP into normal
Amiga workbench and file operations. Treat a remote FTP Site just like a local hard
drive!. Many new features including:-
- Completely revised GUI with new FTPAddressbook, FTPOptions and FTPConnect
- Individual configuration Options
for each site including custom format and custom tool bars on a site-by-site basis.
- Enhanced Drag and Drop allows you to create shortcuts to your
favourite FTP sites, directories and files by leaving them out on the Opus Desktop for
- Full recursive directory copying. Copy whole directories in a
- More support for normal Opus commands including Getsizes,
FindFiles and the Copy command now
supports the UPDATE and NEWER flags. Great for web site maintenance!
- Protect is fully supported with a new GUI allowing you to set
remote protection bits in either Amiga or Unix fashion.
- Seven new Scripts exclusively for FTP events on a site by site
- Automatic reconnection on failure or lost connection.
- Better Site-to-Site transfer capability - transfer files
between two remote sites without going via your Amiga.
- Optional transfer and progress displays
with more detailed information.
- Support for firewalls and IP Masking
with PASSIVE transfer mode.
- Lister path gadgets accept industry standard URL syntax.
- Inline editing of Name and Protection fields now supported.
- Synchronous command structure so interactive ARexx scripts are
now possible! Write BATCH files to transfer selected files.
- Speed and efficiency improvements with better management of
socket options and improved support for all AmigaTCP stacks.
- Special popup menus for FTP Listers to access custom Options
and Add the current site entry details and custom options directly to the address book.
We hope you will enjoy the advanced features in this new version which we call the
Directory Opus Magellan II version. For those who were wondering we really wanted to call
it the "Fernando Version", but......
Directory Opus 5 Magellan II is now in production. It received an
enthusiastic response when demonstrated at the Cologne show, November 1998 by Dr
Greg Perry and Jonathan Potter. It is now available world-wide from good Amiga dealers and
Or you may support the developers by purchasing direct.
Pricing and Order
Check out the new features of Magellan-II:-
- Opus Magellan II - Neil Bothwick, Amiga
Format, UK, Issue 121, March 1999
- DOpus PLUS - Neil Bothwick, Amiga Format, UK, Issue
121, March 1999
- Opus Magellan II and DOpus PLUS - Steve Folberg,
Amazing Computing, US, Vol 14 No 17, 1999
- Ben Vost's Amiga Format Preview of Opus
Return to GPSoftware Main Page
Since 1/11/98, number of access to this page
971105 - 6831 981001 - 7016 990525 - 8334
Dr Greg Perry, GPSoftware, Brisbane.
GPSoftware PO Box 570, Ashgrove, Brisbane, Australia 4060
Phone/Fax +61 7 33661402
Copyright � 1997-1998
GPSoftware. All rights reserved. Magellan Page Created 10/5/97 Last Update 13th