- OVEREEM FACES TUF 1 ALUM HOGER AT GLORY 11
Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

AlistairOvereemBuentello201SF7.jpg
 
Alistair Overeem's international calendar just got more crowded.

The 29-year-old Strikeforce heavyweight champion is expected to face original "Ultimate Fighter" alum Sam Hoger at Glory 11 on Oct. 17 in his home city of Amsterdam.

Triple Crown Fighter's Steve Ruisch, who brokered the deal for Hoger, told MMAWeekly.com Monday afternoon that the deal was "95 percent finalized."

Overeem recently appeared in a promotional video for Dream 12, to be held eight days after Glory 11 in Osaka, Japan. His opponent was unnamed. The event will be Dream’s first to utilize a hexagonal cage.

It has been almost two years since Overeem won the Strikeforce belt against Paul Buentello at the promotion's lone MMA tournament, “Four Men Enter, One Man Survives,” in November 2007. He was twice scheduled to make his U.S. return this year, but a lingering hand injury forced him to withdraw from bouts in April and June.

Since then, several reports have questioned Overeem's contractual status as well as his motivations for staying overseas.

In an interview with MMAWeekly.com last month, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker asserted there were no serious issues between his promotion and the Dutch fighter.

"I’ve read all the blogs and statements about Golden Glory and what they’re saying, Alistair not honoring his contract," said Coker. "That’s all stuff I call the National Enquirer gossip. We’re not going to respond to that. We know Alistair’s going to be fighting in Strikeforce. We have an agreement. The relationship is strong. They’re thankful that we’re letting them fight in Dream. But I still think Alistair is going to be a champion in Strikeforce that’s going to be a formidable opponent for either Fedor (Emelianenko) or Brett Rogers."

Coker said his agreement with Overeem wasn't beholden to other promotions, but based instead on professional courtesy.

"In the past, we’ve always used the K-1 agreement, and they fought for us because I asked K-1 or Dream or Pride at the time, can I use Vitor Belfort, can I use Alistair Overeem?" Coker continued. "And they said sure. Now, with the relationship with CBS and Showtime, we have direct contracts with Alistair that have nothing to do with Dream. He’s obligated to fight, it’s just scheduling the time now."

Finding that time, it appears, is the hitch. When Strikeforce makes it's CBS network debut on Nov. 7 in suburban Chicago, Emelianenko and Rogers will be front and center.



BACK TO THE NEWS
Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday

Related Articles :

  • - WERDUM ISN'T BUYING OVEREEM'S INJURY (Saturday, September 12, 2009)
    Fabricio Werdum isn't buying Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem's injury excuse and wants his title shot...
  • - WERDUM MAKES SHORT WORK OF KYLE AT STRIKEFORCE (Saturday, August 15, 2009)
    Fabricio Werdum made short work of Mike Kyle at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. on Saturday night, submitting him just 84 seconds into the bout by guillotine choke...
  • - ON AGAIN, OFF AGAIN; WERDUM BACK ON VS. KYLE (Monday, August 03, 2009)
    MMAWeekly.com confirmed Monday afternoon that Fabricio Werdum will in fact remain on the Strikeforce "Carano vs. Cyborg" fight card to face fellow UFC veteran Mike Kyle...
  • - FABRICIO WERDUM OFF CARANO VS. CYBORG CARD (Monday, August 03, 2009)
    Strikeforce heavyweight Fabricio Werdum will not appear on Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg,” although he will be one of the front-runners to face Fedor Emelianenko when the Russian makes his promotional debut...
  • - OVEREEM INJURY PERSISTS; TITLE BOUT OFF (UPDATED) (Tuesday, July 21, 2009)
    Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem is struggling with complications from a hand injury sustained in a bar brawl and will not defend his title against Fabricio Werdum...
  • - OVEREEM DRAWS WERDUM FOR 1ST STRIKEFORCE DEFENSE (Monday, July 06, 2009)
    Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem will make his first title defense Aug. 15 when he rematches new signee Fabricio Werdum at "Carano vs. Cyborg"....

Copyright 2010 MMA Weekly LLC. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of MMA Weekly content is expressly prohibited without expressed written consent of MMA Weekly. MMA Weekly will not be liable for any errors in content or any action taken in reliance thereof.








 


MMAWeekly Facebook Twitter RSS Store



















wec-t