--- Very newsworthy Raw on Monday night (CLICK HERE) --- Jeff Hardy legal update on Monday (CLICK HERE)
--- Torch Report: May 17 guest-host confirmed by WWE & USA Net (CLICK HERE) --- N.Y. Times reports on WWE Raw guest hosts (CLICK HERE)
--- ROH in NYC results Saturday (CLICK HERE) --- PWG tag tournament results in SoCal Sunday (CLICK HERE)
--- SMACKDOWN: Drew McIntyre stripped of IC Title (CLICK HERE) --- Two more matches announced for Over the Limit PPV (CLICK HERE)
--- WWE BIZ: WWE reports 1st quarter earnings - WM26 business down (CLICK HERE) --- Bret Hart done in WWE after May 17? (CLICK HERE)
--- Six matches announced for TNA Sacrifice PPV (CLICK HERE) --- [Refresh to Update News or CLICK TO GO TO MAIN LISTING] ...
5/8 ROH in New York City: Tyler Black ROH Title defense, TNA's Machineguns challenge for ROH tag titles, Daniels, Awesome Kong
May 8, 2010 - 10:23:36 PM
Ring of Honor "Supercard of Honor VIII" results
May 8, 2010
New York City at Hammerstein Ballroom
Report by Nick Gifford, PWTorch reader
Pre-show: Jim Cornette and the Motor City Machineguns signed autographs.
(1) The Briscoes beat Kenny King & Rhett Titus in a very solid opening match. King and Titus argued after the match due to King accidently nailing Titus with an enziguiri that led to the finish.
(2) Erik Stevens beat Grizzly Redwood in a short, boring match. After the match, Stevens, Ernie Osiris, and Prince Nana continued to beat on Redwood, which led to Balls Mahoney making the save to a nice pop.
(3) SHIMMER match: Sara Del Rey beat Awesome Kong when Chris Hero gave her his loaded elbow pad to use.
(4) Christopher Daniels beat ROH TV champion Eddie Edwards in a non-title match in 20 minutes following the Best Moonsault Ever. Afterwards, Daniels told Edwards to let Davey Richards know he's next.
Jim Cornette came out and thanked the fans. He announced that ROH will return to New York City on September 11 and his special guest will be Terry Funk.
(5) Austin Aries beat Delirious via DQ when Delirious refused to release a chokehold. Aries wrestled in a suit, saying something before the match about getting a manager's license. He tried to apologize by giving a white rose to Daizee and "Golden snack cakes" to Delirious, which weren't accepted, but the audience chanted for them anyways. Post-match, Kenny King and Rhett Titus hit the ring and the ganged up on Delirious and Haze.
In between matches, a guy got in the ring with a broom to sweep up the remains of the snack cake that was smashed. He kept getting back in the ring because he missed a spot. When he was done, the crowd chanted "Best in the world," a la Bryan Danielson, which he seemed to enjoy.
(6) Kevin Steen beat Colt Cabana in a New York City Last Man Standing Death match. It got very bloody, Cabana was put through a table, and Steen landed on thumbtacks. Steve Corino got involved and Steen won following a Crippler Crossface with a barbed wire bat across Cabana's face.
(7) ROH tag champions Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Motor City Machineguns (Chris Sabin & Alex Shelly) via DQ to retain the ROH tag titles. This was a great back-and-forth match that lasted a good 20 minutes. Lots of dueling chants and everyone was able to hit the signature moves. These two teams really have great chemistry and you won't see tag team wrestling like this ANYWHERE else. The end came when Hero was about to use the loaded elbow pad on Sabin, but the Briscoes ran out to attack Hero and Castagnoli, causing a DQ, which got them A LOT of heat. Excellent match aside from the finish.
(8) Main event: ROH World champion Tyler Black beat Roderick Strong to retain the ROH World Title. The crowd was very pro-Roddy. They brawled after the match and had to be separated.
All and all a great show. Send feedback on this article to email@example.com and we'll regularly publish reader feedback in the "Torch Feedback" category on the Main Listing.