70 years since the PIZ BUIN® mountain inspired a man to invent the world's first sun protection cream
The PIZ BUIN® brand traces its origin back to the inspiration of Franz Greiter, a young chemistry student, who suffered severe sunburn while climbing PIZ BUIN®, a mountain on the Swiss-Austrian border, in 1938. In a small laboratory in his parents' home, he formulated a product that would protect the skin against the adverse effects of the sun, a product that would later become known as PIZ BUIN®.
A long string of firsts in the field of sun protection can be credited to the pioneering spirit of Franz Greiter, which subsequently made the PIZ BUIN® brand famous all over the world. These innovations were invariably accompanied by path-breaking campaigns that document the prevailing spirit of the times in an impressive way.
- 2009 - The PIZ BUIN® Active sunscreens with resistant protection are launched in order to meet the demands of an active lifestyle in the sun.
- 2008 - PIZ BUIN® presents sunscreen in its most convenient form – the PIZ BUIN Sunband. It encourages sun-smart behaviour and guarantees that great protection is only an arm’s length away.
- 2008 - The complete PIZ BUIN® suncare range is upgraded to the new breakthrough sun protection technology Helioplex™ – a new class of gorgeous protection from PIZ BUIN®.
- 2007 - Launch of Tan Intensifier – a range of products with an innovative formulation that facilitates faster tanning without compromising on protection.
- 2006 - PIZ BUIN® celebrates its 60th anniversary and introduces PIZ BUIN® Self Tan and PIZ BUIN® Gradual Self Tan product lines.
- 2005 - PIZ BUIN® launches its latest suncare innovation, PIZ BUIN® 1 Day Long. With its unique "bonding" technology (patent pending), the new PIZ BUIN® 1 Day Long sun lotion represents a major development in suncare. It provides consumers with long-lasting UVA-UVB sun protection with a single application.
- 2002 - Introduction of a complete suncare range with photostable UVA and UVB filters.
- 1993 - PIZ BUIN® develops the first Triple Protection Technology; all sun protection formulations contain UVA and UVB filters, as well as Vitamin E, which neutralises skin cell-damaging free radicals.
- 1989 - For the first time, PIZ BUIN® uses filters known as micro-pigments that reflect UV light.
- 1980 - PIZ BUIN® introduces a range of products specifically designed for the mountains, which provide special protection from the sun.
- 1975 - The first water-resistant suncare products are developed by PIZ BUIN®.
- 1968 - PIZ BUIN® introduces sunscreens with UVA and UVB broad spectrum filters.
- 1962 - Introduction of the Sun Protection Factor (SPF), which has now become a worldwide standard.
- 1946 - Prof. Franz Greiter invents the world's first sun protection product.