Bettws-Newydd is a parish, on the road from Clytha to Usk, 2 miles from Nantyderry station
on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway,
and 4 miles north from Usk, in the Monmouth division of the county,
rural district of Abergavenny, hundred, petty sessional division, county court district
and rural deanery of Usk and archdeaconry and diocese of Monmouth. The church is
an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and
west porch and a western turret containing 2 bells, and there
is a beautiful roodloft: the church has been restored, and has 90 sittings.
The resister dates from the year 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed
with the perpetual curacy of Kemeys-Commander to the vicarage of Trostrey,
joint net yearly value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Monmouth and the Board
of Patronage, and held since 1931 by the Rev. Alvert St. David Buckley M.A. of
Fitzwilliam Hall, Cambridge. The soil is gravelley; subsoil, gravel and lime. The chief crops are wheat, oats,
barley, turnips and mangolds. The area is 1,130 acres; the population in 1931 was 99.
End of page