Llanfair Discoed signifies the 'church of St. Mary below the wood', the wood being the Chase of Wentwood, formerly the property of the Crown, and, for the last 250 years, of the dukes of Beaufort.
The parish is entirely agricultural, and the church has always been reckoned a chapelry under Caerwent. It is distinguished by a ruined castle, situated close to the church, which was one of the series of fortresses erected by the Normans for the defense of their territory won from the Welsh. In the 13th century Payne Fitzjohn was the lord. In 1610 Rhys Kemeys, younger son of David Kemeys of Cefn-Mabli, purchased it, in whose family it has since continued, and is now the property of Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte, Lord Wharton.
The church is a chapelry under Caerwent. The advowson, with that of Dinham (now a ruin) and Caerwent, was granted in 1337 by Almeric de Lucy to the archdeacon and chapter of Llandaff; in whose gift the living has continued.
J.A. Bradney, Registers of Caerwent 1568-1812
MEMORIALS AND MONUMENTS
Parish Register 1680-1812 (Images Only)
End of page