Bettws-Newydd is a parish, situated on the road from Clytha to Usk, 4 miles north-east from Usk and 2 from Nantyderry station
on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford railway, in Usk hundred, union of Abergavenny, county court district of Usk,
south-western division of the rural deaconry of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff. The church is
an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave and a turret containing 2 bells, and there
is a beautiful rood-loft: the church has been restored. The resister dates from the year 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed
to the vicarage of Llanarth, joint yearly value £285 from the tithe rent-charge, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff,
and is now vacant. The Duke of Beaufort K.G. who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. Sir John Henry Fludyer bart. M.A. rector of
Ayston, Rutland, are the principal landowners. The soil is gravelley; subsoil, gravel and lime. The chief crops are wheat, oats,
barley, turnips and mangolds. The area is 1,122 acres; rateable value £1,020; and the population in 1881 was 109.
Post Office - James James, receiver. Letters are received through Usk, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
The children of this parish attend the national school at Trostrey for the joint parishes of Bettws Newydd, Kemeys Commander and Trostrey.
End of page