BISHTON: JOHNS NEWPORT DIRECTORY 1939
POSTAL ADDRESS BISHTON, NEWPORT, MON.
AREA, 1,392 acres. RATEABLE VALUE, £773. POPULATION 137 (1931)
Bishton is a small parish 7 miles east from Newport, and 2 from Llanwern Station, the main line of the G.W. Railway running close to the village. It is in the Rural Deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry and Diocese of Monmouth.
PLACES OF WORSHIP.-The Church, dedicated to St. Cadwallader, is an ancient one, and was restored in 1887. It is built of stone in the early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch, and tower, the living, with that of Llanwern, being held by the Rev. R Shelley Plant. Churchwardens, J. R. Davies and Aubrey Rees. Presbyterian Hall is also here.
POSTAL-Sub-postmistress, Mrs. J. Webber. Post office and Telephone Call office. Letters via Newport, per rural Postman.
SCHOOLS-There is a Public Elementary School., headmistress, not appointed.
End of page