KEMEYS COMMANDER: KELLYS 1884

The OGRE

Description

Kemeys-Commander is a parish, 3 miles north-west-by-north from Usk, 1 mile south-west from Nantyderri station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford railway, in the hundred and union of Pontypool,county court district of Usk, south-western division of the rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry on Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff; it is situated on the Usk. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Pointed style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and a turret containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1813 only. The living is a vicarage, with 5 paid in leiu of tithe, and the interest of 200 from Queen Anne's Bounty, gross yearly income 53, with about 40 acres of bounty land, in the gift of Thomas Phillips Price esq. and held since 1881 by the Rev. David Mosely. Thomas Phillips Price esq. J.P. of Triley Court, Abergavenny, is the lord of the manor. The principal landowners are T.P. Price esq. and Miss Sparrow. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, red gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and mangold. The area is 500 acres; rateable value, 634; and the population in 1881 was 69. Parish Clerk, John Lodge

Letters through Usk, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office

The children of this parish attend the National school, Trostrey, for the united parishes of Trostrey, Kemeys-Commander and Bettws Newydd

People

Surname Forenames Occupation Abode
ARTHUR James Farmer Ty-draw
HAMPSHIRE Henry Farmer Lower house
WILLIAM Griffiths Bridge Inn & Farmer Bridge End
HOBBIS Isaac Farmer Parsonage Farm
PHILLIPS Phillip Farmer Church Farm


End of page