Kemeys Commander, 3 miles north-west of Usk, comprises a few farms, cottages, and a church slightly off the main road leading to Abergavenny within a graceful bend of the river Usk. Its unusual name is probably derived from the fact that the patronage of the church was at one time held by the Knights Templars and was a commandery or preceptory, as their houses were termed. In the 17th century their successors, the Knights Hospitallers, drew £2 13s. 4d. per annum from demesne lands in this parish. There may have been a hermitage here in early days. It is, however, doubtful whether the Kemeys family ever held it and its ancient name may have been Kenlis. It was "farmed" by and Edward Kemeys, perhaps as chaplain of the chantry of St Nicholas in the parish church of Usk; in 1603 it belonged to Edward Morgan.
To the north is Kemeys Bridge, built 1905-6, which takes the main road over the Usk; a bridge has been
here as far back as the 16th century, to claim the least, as for ford just above the bridge could only
be used when the water in the river was very low.
Monmouthshire, It's History and Topography, C.J.O. Evans, ~1950
MEMORIALS AND MONUMENTS
Church of All Saints
List of Incumbents 1535 - 1987
End of page