HOLY HELLBASKET, John Green is on Smart Mouths?! Hath hell frozen over? Does Penny love Oprah? Does Elysa hate Glambert? Because this is some earth-shattering, paradigm-shifting, apocalyptic stuff. I repeat: John Green – THE John Green, a legit author, viral phenomenon extraordinaire – is on the show this week to discuss his book Will Grayson, Will Grayson.
Wait – this doesn’t mean we’re earning credibility, does it? No? Okay good.
- We open the book discussion with a few standard questions – the only time in this interview where we aren’t actively making asses of ourselves.
- Discussion of the Epic as Hell (minus the fire-and-brimstone) novel is very thematic, with particular focus on the interconnectedness of truth and love.
- Penny pays Elysa the most profound compliment of her life. And that includes the time Matt called her his ho.
- Also: How can we be fabulous? John answers with his usual Jedi-like wisdom and wit.
- Last Words with John Green: A new game in which we guess what celebrities’ last words will be. Up on the pyre: Bill Clinton, Lady Gaga, Barney the Dinosaur… yeah, we go there.
For the whole three people out there who haven’t heard of John the Wise and/or read his novels, check him out. You won’t be disappointed, unless you’ve got a pet peeve against killer writing skillz. His website is http://www.sparksflyup.com/, his awesome youtube is http://www.youtube.com/vlogbrothers and he’s @realjohngreen over on Twitter.
And in special thanks to John for making an appearance on our (let’s be honest) less-than-inspiring production, we’re asking our listeners to donate to his charity of choice: The American Red Cross Nashville Relief Fund . For our part, we’ve already donated $200 – a figure John has graciously offered to match – so let’s play a philanthropic game of Follow the Leader, shall we? Donate Here. Come on now. Don’t be a bitchsqueeler.