he eagle lectern in oak was given by Mrs Harper, wife of the first bishop, and was in use for the dedication of the Cathedral. The eagle is the symbol of John the Evangelist.
The steps leading to the lectern were given by his children in memory of Sir George Harper, fourth son of Bishop Harper. The coat-of-arms of the Harper family bears the inscription (from Horace) Coelum non animum, translated as "Climate may change, but not the character."
This window, in memory of Richard John Strachan Harman, represents the Ascension of Our Lord standing in a cloud and his right hand raised in the act of blessing. The diocesan arms shown are those of St David's, Bangor and Wales.
Richard J.S. Harman arrived in Lyttelton on the Sir George Seymour, 17 December 1850. He was a member of the Provincial Council, 1857-62, and did a great deal of survey work for that body. He was appointed Deputy-Superintendent in 1871. Mr Harman was a member of the Cathedral Chapter as well as a member of the original Cathedral Commission.
This window to the memory of James Edward Fitzgerald shows Our Lord as a boy in the Temple, the full-length figure of the Good Shepherd in the centre and the woman wiping the feet of Our Lord with her hair. The Arms are those of the diocese of Llandaff, Bath and Wells, and Exeter.
This window was erected to the memory of Archdeacon Benjamin Woolley Dudley, the first vicar of Lyttelton (where the first church in the colony was established) and later for many years Archdeacon of Rangiora. He had arrived in the Cressy in 1850.
The left window shows the healing of the lepers, the centre a full-length figure of St Luke the Evangelist, and the third Christ healing a cripple. The Arms are those of the dioceses of Chichester, Canterbury and Norwich.
Under the Harman, Fitzgerald and Dudley windows are memorials to many men and women who have given outstanding service to the Church. The first of these is to the memory of Dean Jacobs, the first dean of this Cathedral. A brass plate further along records the names of those who fell in the South African War.
The Pacific Chapel has been formed from the south porch and was first intended to be called the Patteson Chapel, to mark the centenary in 1971 of the martyrdom of Bishop Patteson, the first Bishop of Melanesia. It has now been named to include all the Pacific missionaries. The cross came from Melanesia. The chapel is always open for private prayer. The Missionary Societies use it for their corporate communion services.
The panels in the arcading are the work of Salviati & Co. of Venice and represent the six works of mercy, with Christ in the middle in the act of Benediction. The middle panel was the first one give, being the gift of Mrs John Bealey in 1882. The second from the left was given in 1907 by the Hon. Spencer Lyttelton, the son of the Chairman of the Canterbury Association. The remainder were completed in 1970 with a bequest from Canon Orange, a precentor of the Cathedral.
The subjects based on Matthew 25:35-36 are:
This window is in memory of John Charles Watts-Russell. The left light carries medallions of St Peter and St Paul, the centre St Gabriel, St Elizabeth and St Chad and the right light St Andrew and St Luke. The Arms are those of the dioceses of London, Lichfield and Oxford.
This three-light window is to the memory of Thomas Maberly Hassal who rendered valuable assistance to the Church as a synodsman, trustee of The Church Property Trust Estate, and member of the Clergy Pension Board. He was also German Consul in Christchurch. The left light contains medallions of St Mark and St Thomas, Apostle, the centre the Christ, the Blessed Virgin, St Faith, and the right light St John and St Barnabas. The Arms are those of the dioceses of Chester, York and Durham.
This window is to the memory of Sir John Cracroft Wilson, who came to New Zealand in 1853 and settled his family at Cashmere, which he named after a beautiful part of northern India. Sir John had to return to India to complete his service, which included the Mutiny and led to a knighthood in the Order of the Star of India. The window features teaching subjects, the left light showing Moses holding the Tablets of the Law, and the right Joshua and Theophany at Jericho. In the centre of the trefoil light above is a small medallion where the head and shoulders of Queen Victoria may be discerned. This is a representation of the Indian Mutiny Medal awarded to St John.
The large rose window in the west wall, together with the mosaic panels below it, is best viewed from the middle section of the nave.
The stonework of the rose window was the gift of the Cathedral Guild and the stained glass was presented by Mr and Mrs Leonard Harper, son and daughter-in-law of the first bishop. The window is twenty-five feet in diameter and was designed by Mountfort. His own description of the design reads:
"The Agnus Dei, spandrels surrounding it, figures of angels with harps, other musical instruments and scrolls; the ten cinquefoils with figures representing the heavenly hierarchy; the remaining portions with foliage of appropriate character."
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II unveiled this memorial to mark the Centenary of the Cathedral at a Service of Thanksgiving, 13 October, 1981.