Alvarez, Juan S.
Avery, Julie A.
Berryman, Val Roy
Dewhurst, C. Kurt
Gottfried, Michael D.
Lovis, William A.
O'Gorman, Jodie A.
Rasmussen, Pamela C.
Pamela C. Rasmussen, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator of Mammalogy & Ornithology, MSU Museum
Assistant Professor, MSU Department of Zoology
Research Associate, Smithsonian Institution
Scientific Associate, Bird Group, Department of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Tring, UK, 2002-present
Member of Editorial Board, Systematics and Biodiversity, 2003-present
Adjunct Assistant Scientific Associate, Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, 2003-present
Fellow, American Ornithologists’ Union, 2007
American Ornithologists Union (AOU) Committee on Classification & Nomenclature, 1999-present
Associate Editor, The Ibis, 1998-present
Aves Editor, Zootaxa, 2008-present
Dr. Rasmussen's research focuses on the diversity, vocalizations, taxonomy, and conservation of the avifauna of southern Asia. She recently (2005) co-authored a two-volume book, Birds of South Asia: the Ripley Guide, which was published in April 2005. She has also worked on systematics, ecology, behavior, and zooarcheology of Patagonian seabirds, and co-authored (with Dr. Storrs Olson) a review of the Mio-Pliocene avifauna of North Carolina.
Media Featuring Rasmussen's Research
- Featured guest on NPR’s “Whad’Ya Know” with Michael Feldman, 31 October 2009.
- MSU expert says endangered Indonesia crow survives. Chicago Tribune, 17 October
2009, http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/oct/17/science/chi-ap-mi-lostbirdfound, accessed 12 November 2009.
- Oehler, D. 2009. Rediscovered: Forest Owlet. Bird Watcher’s Digest. November/December ‘09.
- Seabrook, J. 2006. The Meinertzhagen Ruse. The New Yorker.
- Grimmett, R. 2005. Taking flight. Nature 438: 916.
- Dalton, R. 2005. Ornithologists stunned by bird collector's deceit. Nature 437: 302-303.
- Weidensaul, S. 2002. The ghost with trembling wings. Science, wishful thinking, and the search for lost species. North Point Press, New York.
- Gallagher, T. 1998. Lost and found. Living Bird, Spring 1998.
- Renner, S.C., P.C. Rasmussen, J.H. Rappole, Theing Aung, & Myint Aung. 2009. Discovery of the Large Blue Flycatcher Cyornis [banyumas] magnirostris breeding in northern Kachin State (Burma/Myanmar) and taxonomic implications for the Cyornis-group. J. Orn. 150: 671-683.
- Svensson, L., R. Prys-Jones, P.C. Rasmussen, & U. Olsson. 2008. Discovery of ten new specimens of large-billed reed warbler Acrocephalus orinus, and new insights into its distributional range. J. Avian Biol. 39: 605-610.
- Alström, P., P.C. Rasmussen, U. Olsson, & P. Sundberg. 2008. Species delimitation based on multiple criteria: the Spotted Bush Warbler Bradypterus thoracicus complex (Aves: Megaluridae). Zoological Journal of the Linnaean Society 154: 291-307.
- Indrawan, M., P.C. Rasmussen, & Sunarto. Submitted. A new species of white-eye (Zosterops) from the Togian Islands, Gulf of Tomini, Sulawesi, Indonesia. Wilson Journal of Ornithology.
- Grenyer, R., C.D.L. Orme, S.F. Jackson, G.H. Thomas, R.G. Davies, T.J. Davies, K.E. Jones, V.A. Olson, R.S. Ridgely, P.C. Rasmussen, T.S. Ding, P.M. Bennett, T.M. Blackburn, K.J. Gaston, J.L. Gittleman, & I.P.F. Owens. 2006. The global distribution and conservation of rare and threatened vertebrates. Nature 444: 93-96.
- Johnson, J.A., H.R.L. Lerner, P.C. Rasmussen, & D.P. Mindell. 2006. Systematics within Gyps vultures: a clade at risk. BMC-Evolutionary Biology 6.
- Orme, C.D.L., R.G. Davies, M. Burgess, F. Eigenbrod, N. Pickup, V. Olson, A.J. Webster, T.-S. Ding, P.C. Rasmussen, R.S. Ridgely, A.J. Stattersfield, P.M. Bennett, T.M. Blackburn, K.J. Gaston, & I.P.F. Owens. 2005. Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism or threat. Nature 436:1016-1019.
- Rasmussen, P.C. & J.C. Anderton. 2005. Birds of South Asia: the Ripley guide. 2 vols. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona.
- “Avelution: Birds in the Development of Darwin’s Theories of Evolution,” Michigan State University Museum, 2010
- "Birds of South Asia: History vs. Mystery," Michigan State University Museum, 2003-2004 and Detroit Zoo Wildlife Interpretive Gallery, 2005-2006
Ph.D., University of Kansas, 1990
M.S., Walla Walla College, 1983