Building the Washington Park Zoo ~ 1892-1927

Image of Bear

1900

On September 20th, the name of West Park was changed to Washington Park, and the infant zoo took its place in history under that name.  Milwaukee parks, at the time, were under the jurisdiction of the City of Milwaukee Board of Park Commissioners. Jack, one of the cinnamon bears that were donated in 1893, was the first large mammal to be exhibited at the Washington Park Zoo.  He delighted Zoo visitors for more than 30 years.