Building the New Milwaukee County Zoo ~ 1947-1960

Image of Milwaukee County Zoo sign

1958

This is the year the new Milwaukee County Zoo really began to take shape.  Construction began on the Primate Building, Monkey Island, Feline House, Pachyderm Mall, and Grizzly Bear Den.  Visitors were encouraged to visit the Zoo throughout its construction. Also in 1958, a miniature railroad opened to the public.  The “Zoo Line” was a gift of the Journal Company.  Visitors rode in four coaches pulled by a diesel locomotive on a quarter-mile track around the developing Zoo grounds.  Since then, over 20 million riders have experienced the thrill of riding the Zoo train.