The New Milwaukee County Zoo ~ 1961-1984

Image of Zoo entrance

1963

Most of the animal exhibits had moved from Washington Park Zoo to the new Milwaukee County Zoo.  The old Zoo resembled a ghost town.  It had only consisted of 23 acres, but between 1947 and 1964, Milwaukee County purchased 184 acres of land for the new Zoo.  At this time, the Milwaukee County Zoo was home to 700 mammals, birds, and reptiles.  Growth continued with the construction of the Australian Building and the Animal Hospital.