The "New" New Milwaukee County Zoo ~ 1985-present

Image of Heritage Farm entrance construction

1987

On May 9th, the Zoo’s new Dairy Complex opened to the public.  The Dairy Complex was the first building completed as part of the $25 million Capital Campaign.  The Children’s Zoo was renamed Stackner Heritage Farm. The $1 million complex located in the Farm was designed to celebrate Wisconsin as America’s Dairyland. It would consist of three components: Cow Barn, Education Center, and Dairy Store.  The central structure of the Zoo’s Dairy Complex was a restored 1886 octagonal barn.  The barn was dismantled at its original Ozaukee County location and re-assembled on Zoo grounds.  The barn is made of hand-hewn timber beams, and no nails were used in the assembly of the main timber frame.  It was joined together with only wooden pegs and steel reinforcements.  Stackner Heritage Farm, though recently renamed Northwestern Mutual Family Farm, continues to be an actual working farm to this day.  Golden Guernsey Dairy has actually used the milk produced by the Zoo’s dairy cows.

Also this year, Connie, the Andean Condor, passed away.  Connie was donated to the Zoo in 1922 and was born in 1917.