190 North State Street|
Architects: C.W. and George Rapp
The State-Lake Theater opened in 1919, initially as a premiere vaudeville
theater, and soon became an important link in the RKO chain of movie houses.
The building occupies the southwest corner of State and Lake Streets and
was designed by the venerable theater architectural firm of Rapp and Rapp.
A few years later, Rapp and Rapp also designed the
Chicago Theater, located across State Street from the State-Lake.
In the mid-1980s, the building was converted into a television studio for
WLS, the Chicago outlet of the American Broadcasting Company.
· George D. Bushnell, "Chicago's Magnificent
Movie Palaces," Chicago History 6 (Summer 1977),
· Ben Hall, Best Remaining Seats: The Story of the
Golden Age of the Movie Palace (DaCapo Press, 1988).
· Lary May,
Out the Past: The Birth of Mass Culture and the Motion Picture
Industry (Univ. of Chicago Press, 1983).
· Michael Putnam,
Screens: The Decline and Transformation of the American Movie
Theater (Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, 2000).
· Robert Sklar,
America: A Cultural History of American Movies
· Maggie Valentine,
Show Starts on the Sidewalk: An Architectural History of the
Movie Theater (Yale Univ. Press, 1996).
Page authored: 17 June 1997