Cartmell, Bayliss win Ironman 70.3 UK new
Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010
Defending champion Graves took the lead with a race-best 2:30:24 bike that gave him a 3-minute lead over Cartmell, but Cartmell turned the tables with a third-best 1:17:06 run that outpaced Graves by 5:52 and gave the challenger a 3:24 margin of victory.
Cartmell's finishing time of 4:17:03 - 20 minutes slower than the winning time at the reputedly tough Wildflower half Ironman - underlined the tremendous difficulty of the relentlessly hilly Ironman 70.3 UK course tabbed the "toughest 70.3 in the world." The 56-mile bike has a total of more than 2,000 meters of climbing that demands the best of the toughest cyclists in the sport. The run, which has almost equally tough hills, offers little solace.
The win was Cartmell's third in the five-year history of the event.
Bayliss overcame a 1:30 post-bike deficit to eventual third place finisher Emma-Kate Lidbury and a 1:16 margin to runner-up Tamsin Lewis with a second-best on the day 1:29:37 run that left her 1:50 up on Lewis and 2:34 ahead of Lidbury at the finish.
Bayliss finished in 4:53:52 and took her second Ironman 70.3 UK title.
Wimbleball Lake, Exmoor National Park, Somerset, Great Britain
June 20, 2010
S 1.2 mi./ B 56 mi. / R 13.1 mi.
1. Fraser Cartmell (SCO) 4:17:03
2. Philip Graves (GBR) 4:20:27
3. Jonas Djurback (SWE) 4:24:32
4. Faris Al-Sultan (GER) 4:26:23
5. Rich Allen (GBR) 4:26:46
6. Stephen Bayliss (GBR) 4:27:07
7. Joel Jameson (GBR) 4:29:09
8. Paul Ambrose (GBR) 4:32:35
9. Aleksandar Sorenson-Markovic (DEN) 4:35:27
10. Tristan Shipsides (GBR) 4:39:17
11. Jasper Blake (CAN) 4:40:11
1. Bella Bayliss (SCO) 4:53:52
2. Tamsin Lewis (AUS) 4:55:42
3. Emma Kate-Lidbury (GBR) 4:56:26
4. Yvette Grice (GBR) 5:03:44
5. Alison Rowatt ( SCO) 5:05:46 * F25-29
6. Joanna Carritt (GBR) 5:09:31
7. Tracy Cook (GBR) 5:20:45 * F35-39
8. Kate George (GBR) 5:24:05 * F30-34
9. Helen Smith (GBR) 5:30:14 * F35-39
10. Libby Cameron (GBR) 5:35:23 * F30-34
Fraser Cartmell won the 2008 Ironman 70.3 UK and narrowly held off fellow Brit Steven Bayliss. Aussie Luke Bell finished third. In the women's race, Bella Comerford added another win to her resume. Julie Dibens took the runner-up spot and age grouper Sara Sig Moeller snuck into third place. 6.15.08
Fraser Cartmell has now repeated his victory at Ironman 70.3 UK and appears eager to add a few other podium finishes to his growing resume. Slowtwitch sat down with the Scottish talent to find out more about his thoughts on training, racing, nutrition and more. 6.19.08