The Ministry of Alberta Municipal Affairs:
- Assists municipalities in providing well-managed, collaborative, and accountable local government to Albertans.
- Administers a safety system that strives to ensure appropriate safety standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings and equipment.
- Manages the network of municipal and library system boards to provide province-wide access to high-quality public library services for Albertans.
- The Alberta Emergency Management Agency reports directly to the Minister and is responsible for co-ordinating a comprehensive, cross-government, all-hazards approach to managing emergencies in the province.
- The Municipal Government Board is an independent, quasi-judicial board that conducts hearings and renders decisions on such matters as property assessment, and provides recommendations to Cabinet on matters defined under the Municipal Government Act, such as contested annexations.
- The Safety Codes Council is a corporation established under the Safety Codes Act that reviews safety codes and standards and supports the Ministry's administration of the act.
- The Special Areas Board manages 2.8 million acres of public land in the province's three Special Areas and provides municipal services, such as construction and maintenance of local roads and parks, and emergency and protective services, to the dryland region in eastern Alberta.
- The six Improvement Districts, located primarily in the National Parks, provide limited administrative services, such
as budget preparation, and in the case of Improvement District No. 9 fire protection and ambulance services.
We work with our partners in Alberta municipalities, other government departments and local organizations to achieve these goals.
Choose from the following key links to learn more about the organization of the ministry, the municipalities and people we serve, our key clients, stakeholders and goals:
- Contact the Minister
- Acts and Regulations
- Organization (Includes Chart)
- Municipal Affairs 2009-10 Financial Statement
- Municipal Affairs 2010-13 Business Plan
- Municipal Affairs 2009 - 2012 Business Plan
- Municipal Affairs 2008-11 Business Plan
- Municipal Affairs and Housing 2007-08 Annual Report
- Municipal Affairs 2008-09 Annual Report
- Access to Information
- Vision, Mission and Goals
- Municipal Officials Search (includes listings of municipalities)
- Municipal Profiles
- About Municipalities and Municipal Officials
- Finding Staff